[SOLVED] Will my Cooler Master Elite V3 500W PSU enough for a GTX 1660 super?

Jan 22, 2021
First off, I've been using this power supply for about 2-3years already and so far i have no problems with it whatsoever
i am planning to upgrade my GPU to a 1660 super next week
(i know it will bottleneck my cpu) but hopefully i am going to be able to upgrade my cpu components in the near future

should i change my PSU to a more reliable and trusted brand? i am looking on a Corsair 550W 80+ Bronze

My specs:
i5 3470
GTX 1050 2gb
P8H61-M LX R.20 Mobo
8gb ram 1600mhz

Last edited:
Solution
First off, I've been using this power supply for about 2-3years already and so far i have no problems with it whatsoever
(i know it will bottleneck my cpu) but hopefully i am going to be able to upgrade my cpu components in the near future

should i change my PSU to a more reliable and trusted brand? i am looking on a Corsair 550W 80+ Bronze

My specs:
i5 3470
GTX 1050 2gb
P8H61-M LX R.20 Mobo
8gb ram 1600mhz
Dont worry about cpu bottlenecking,you can upgrade that any time.
As post above said,get atleast a cx 550,if you have the money,get a 650-700W.Not that 1660 super needs it,just for future upgrades so u dont have to buy a new psu every 2-3 years

My specs:
i5 3470
GTX 1050 2gb
P8H61-M LX R.20 Mobo
8gb ram 1600mhz
Dont worry about cpu bottlenecking,you can upgrade that any time.
As post above said,get atleast a cx 550,if you have the money,get a 650-700W.Not that 1660 super needs it,just for future upgrades so u dont have to buy a new psu every 2-3 years

Reactions: sco0och and Nemesia
Solution
Hi sco0och.

I normally check in a few PSU tier list and your PSU is this below.

Tier E • Potentially dangerous in multiple scenarios
Cooler Master | Elite - Realpower - B2

Tier 6

Tier U

Personally I wouldn't. That PSU is 2-3 years old and could just blow up at any moment taking your new shiny GPU with it or worst half your system.

That 550watts Corsair CX Bronze is the minimum I would recommend in the Corsair models.

Sorry deleted post by mistake and posted it again.

Reactions: sco0och
Jan 22, 2021
update guys. i just bought 1660 super and a corsair CV650w 80+ bronze just 2 hours ago. i didn't found a CX version tho but im still really satisfied with the build quality of the CV650.
seeing the PSU tier list above i think this power supply is more than enough for my setup? thanks guys

Reactions: refillable
update guys. i just bought 1660 super and a corsair CV650w 80+ bronze just 2 hours ago. i didn't found a CX version tho but im still really satisfied with the build quality of the CV650.
seeing the PSU tier list above i think this power supply is more than enough for my setup? thanks guys
1660 super has a tdp of 125W,combined with your cpu which pulls 77W,you should be completely fine with almost 450W left.Not the best psu,but will do the job for you.Enjoy!

TRENDING THREADS