[SOLVED] Will my Corsair CX650F 650W 80 BRONZE PSU be able to run 2 STRIX RX 570 8GB CARDS IN CROSSFIRE STABLE/OK?

Dec 17, 2020
Title pretty much states it all, looking to purchase a second rx 570 8gb at a price that im happy to pay, just not sure if my PSU can handle em in crossfire. Would like some opinions from some less ignorant people regarding computer stuff!
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

Solution
It ought to, though it might come down to the rest of your components whether this is a good idea (from a power standpoint). At full load, you could be up around 450W, so if you have a power-hungry CPU or are overclocking, then you could run into issues.

The bigger problem is a different one. If you have workstation uses for multiple 570s, that's fine. But if the idea is a gaming purpose, multi-GPU solutions are basically dead in 2020. Scaling was never great, but now it's downright abysmal, to the extent that many new games aren't supporting multi-GPU solutions at all and sometimes, multi-GPU solutions will actually perform slightly worse than having only one of the GPU installed. Nor is it going to get any better with...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It ought to, though it might come down to the rest of your components whether this is a good idea (from a power standpoint). At full load, you could be up around 450W, so if you have a power-hungry CPU or are overclocking, then you could run into issues.

The bigger problem is a different one. If you have workstation uses for multiple 570s, that's fine. But if the idea is a gaming purpose, multi-GPU solutions are basically dead in 2020. Scaling was never great, but now it's downright abysmal, to the extent that many new games aren't supporting multi-GPU solutions at all and sometimes, multi-GPU solutions will actually perform slightly worse than having only one of the GPU installed. Nor is it going to get any better with both Nvidia and AMD rapidly killing off their remaining, miniscule support for SLI/Crossfire.

If this is for gaming, there's absolutely no good reason to Crossfire two 570s.

Reactions: Arknup
Solution
Dec 17, 2020

The bigger problem is a different one. If you have workstation uses for multiple 570s, that's fine. But if the idea is a gaming purpose, multi-GPU solutions are basically dead in 2020. Scaling was never great, but now it's downright abysmal, to the extent that many new games aren't supporting multi-GPU solutions at all and sometimes, multi-GPU solutions will actually perform slightly worse than having only one of the GPU installed. Nor is it going to get any better with both Nvidia and AMD rapidly killing off their remaining, miniscule support for SLI/Crossfire.

Not the most demanding system, i5 9400f, sum random b365 motherboard, 16gb ram, a 1gb hdd and a 512 gb m2 ssd, the rx 570 gb. I run 3 monitors if that maters. thats about it? and no extra power used from any rgb stuff, just 1 side fan heh.

Dec 17, 2020

TRUE, but I can get the same card I have for a steal, and have the money for it, so it's def happening, I just want to know if i can use the current psu, i'd rather not spend to get a new one if possible haha.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
TRUE, but I can get the same card I have for a steal, and have the money for it, so it's def happening, I just want to know if i can use the current psu, i'd rather not spend to get a new one if possible haha.

You can, but if you get another RX 570 for a steal, the best thing to do is turn around and sell it for a better price. To use in a gaming rig, the value of a second RX 570 is approximately $0. If someone said to me "Dan, I'll sell you an RX 570 for $10, but you cannot sell it and you must use it for gaming in Crossfire with another RX 570," then I would considering my $10 as being robbed.

The only way it makes sense, at any price, is if you're going to re-sell the new RX 570 or sell both RX 570s and get a $250-$300 GPU.

Dec 17, 2020
You can, but if you get another RX 570 for a steal, the best thing to do is turn around and sell it for a better price. To use in a gaming rig, the value of a second RX 570 is approximately $0. If someone said to me "Dan, I'll sell you an RX 570 for $10, but you cannot sell it and you must use it for gaming in Crossfire with another RX 570," then I would considering my $10 as being robbed.

The only way it makes sense, at any price, is if you're going to re-sell the new RX 570 or sell both RX 570s and get a $250-$300 GPU.

Well i was running red dead redemption earlier on mediocre settings, and i wanted to beef up the settings, and the fps seemed a bit low, im sure th ered be a decent difference for it i f i was to crossfire no doubt?