Question Will my CPU be compatiable?

Jicksi

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
I recently ordered a Intel Core i5-9600K to upgrade my system. Unfortunetly it has been a while since I last did any sort of PC hardware stuff, and did not think to check compatability beyond the socket. So I wonder if my CPU will work when I have a MSI B150 Gaming M3 Motherboard?

Unfotunately no, Intel did something stupid and made the new 8th and 9th-gen CPUs with the same number of pins as the previous socket, but incompatible with the previous LGA 1151 socket motherboards. Very confusing.

You would need a 300 series Intel motherboard, B365 or Z390, to be compatible with the i5-9600K. Other 300 series motherboards would be compatible only after a BIOS update.

Jicksi

Reputable
Nov 25, 2016
My current CPU is a i5-6500. I got it 3 years back, but the past couple of months It has struggled quite a bit with the games and tasks I want to preform on my PC. While I do realise that the leap might not be huge, 2 more cores + a significant higher clock speed seems like enough of a upgrade for me, although I might be wrong.

My current CPU is a i5-6500. I got it 3 years back, but the past couple of months It has struggled quite a bit with the games and tasks I want to preform on my PC. While I do realise that the leap might not be huge, 2 more cores + a significant higher clock speed seems like enough of a upgrade for me, although I might be wrong.
It would be faster yes. What GPU do you have?