[SOLVED] Will my CPU bottleneck my GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Thanks for answering, I can always decrease the visuals if I need a bit more fps.
If the CPU is the bottleneck, decreasing visuals won't really help the FPS. The GPU is responsible for filling in the details in objects for every frame, while CPU calculates things like positions of the objects, collisions, etc. - so generating ever frame in a game is a combination of CPU and GPU work. When the CPU becomes the bottleneck, it is unable to calculate its side of the operations fast enough to keep up with the GPU - so the GPU might only get 120 frames from the CPU every second, and it fills in the details in those 120 frames, even though it might actually be capable of filling in, say, 150 frames each second. So lowering the details...

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
What games you want to play? RTX 3080 for 1080p is slightly overkill for games which will benefit from 144+ FPS. While there will be a CPU bottleneck, you'll still get very good FPS in all games.
I'm mostly playing the latest games. I just wanted to know if I can essentially play any game on high (1080p) at 144 fps.

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
Depending on the game, you should be at or near that performance level, cannot ensure 144 FPS at all times but the average FPS would be very close to that in most games, if Nvidia's performance claims are true of course.
Thanks for answering, I can always decrease the visuals if I need a bit more fps.

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
That’s a slightly different question. I doubt you will have any problems with that unless an odd game like Flight Sim 2020. However the question is can you utilise the extra performance of the 3080 over the 3070 at 1080p?
Maybe not but I think I should at least future proof my rig because I am playing to upgrade my cpu and monitor fairly soon. It's only $200 for twice the performance so its worth it even if I will only play at 1080p for now.

Maybe not but I think I should at least future proof my rig because I am playing to upgrade my cpu and monitor fairly soon. It's only $200 for twice the performance so its worth it even if I will only play at 1080p for now.
Fair enough. I don’t think it’s a question with a right or wrong answer. I remember way back getting the GTX780 when generally the 770 was recommended for 1080p 60Hz. In the long run I was pleased I had. However I might have felt I wasted money if I had gone 780Ti.

Reactions: jitteRs

alexbirdie

Respectable
The 3600x even bottlenecks a 2080 ti in 1080p.

There are some tests. I selected one of them https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_3600x_review,23.html.

The higher the resolution, the more GPU bottlenecks.

That means, with same processor, 3080 will be better in 1440p and will shine in 4k-resolution. I think, with this CPU and your resolution, a 3070 will be a step forward ( I do not know, how big this step will be, still waiting for the first reviews).

Reactions: sizzling

jitteRs

Prominent
Nov 25, 2019
The 3600x even bottlenecks a 2080 ti in 1080p.

There are some tests. I selected one of them https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_ryzen_5_3600x_review,23.html.

The higher the resolution, the more GPU bottlenecks.

That means, with same processor, 3080 will be better in 1440p and will shine in 4k-resolution. I think, with this CPU and your resolution, a 3070 will be a step forward ( I do not know, how big this step will be, still waiting for the first reviews).
It seems like every amd cpu bottlenecks it. I bet I will be fine for now and I will just upgrade in the future to the ryzen 4000 series.

If the CPU is the bottleneck, decreasing visuals won't really help the FPS. The GPU is responsible for filling in the details in objects for every frame, while CPU calculates things like positions of the objects, collisions, etc. - so generating ever frame in a game is a combination of CPU and GPU work. When the CPU becomes the bottleneck, it is unable to calculate its side of the operations fast enough to keep up with the GPU - so the GPU might only get 120 frames from the CPU every second, and it fills in the details in those 120 frames, even though it might actually be capable of filling in, say, 150 frames each second. So lowering the details in a CPU bottleneck won't help, because the CPU still needs to calculate the positions and collisions and so on at the same pace, regardless of the amount of detail in the frame. Hopefully that clears it up a little bit.

TLDR: With your specs and the RTX 3080, you'll have a CPU bottleneck in most games rather than GPU bottleneck, so lowering settings will not help - your FPS will actually be mostly determined by the CPU rather than the GPU.

Solution
Technically, there will likely be at least some CPU scaling with any CPU less than the 10900K at 1080P. Certainly, not every 3080 owner is pairing it with a 10900K. :)

The issue is to what degree, and, whether of not it is 'significant' or 'extreme'. {i.e., pairing an R3-1200 with a 2080Ti, or a 10900K with a GTX1050, etc...; something is always going to limit one's FPS in gaming...)

You'd be going the wrong way...it would be better to increase the quality if you want to move load off the cpu...in fact with a 3080 I would start at Ultra on every game and move it down only if there was an fps issue caused by the GPU. It's not likely the 3080 will ever be the limiting issue at 1080p...the rare game like Flightsim 2020 may make it work for a living but I doubt the gpu will struggle with any current titles even at 1440p.

Status
Not open for further replies.