Will my CPU work fine with this GPU?

Robbie Datkov

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Hey guys, I currently have the intel i5 2320k CPU and the GTX 650 ti Palit GPU. But I want to upgrade only the GPU to R9 290 4GB DDR5. Will it work fine? I really need to know this so that I would know what to buy and if it is worth buying the R9 290. I am a gamer and I need a good GPU! I know it's not only about the GPU for gaming but currently I have money for this. Thank you!

Solution
Someone else will need to back this up if I am missing something but I can see no reason why there would be any issues there. its about your motherboard not GPU, and I just put my new R9 280x into a 4 year old board and it works fine.

You will probably be limited by the CPU and board in terms of performance the same way I am now. It will be an improvement, no doubt, but when you finally replace the CPU and board you will get another good jump in your gaming performance.

Good luck!

Gamer AshRut

Reputable
Apr 19, 2014
Well.. your cpu will slightly bottleneck your gpu. If you could overclock it then its ok , go for the R9 290. Otherwise start saving for a new processor as well to get the most out of your gpu.

JoelonGC

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Someone else will need to back this up if I am missing something but I can see no reason why there would be any issues there. its about your motherboard not GPU, and I just put my new R9 280x into a 4 year old board and it works fine.

You will probably be limited by the CPU and board in terms of performance the same way I am now. It will be an improvement, no doubt, but when you finally replace the CPU and board you will get another good jump in your gaming performance.

Good luck!

Solution