Will my CPU work good with my motherboard and GPU?

Velinzor

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Hello, I recently bought a ASUS R9 290. I have it running with a A6-6400k APU witch is going to change soon. my motherboard is a MSI A78M-E35 and I'm not upgrading it because I decided that I was going to go with a better FM2+ socket CPU witch is The AMD Athlon 860k Quad-core
witch I do plan to overclock. I've watched many videos with this GPU, and CPU together and they work great... just wanted to ask the community what you guys think.

My Specs.

CPU: A6-6400K OC 4.2GHz (Soon to be a AMD Athlon 860k Quad-core)
GPU: ASUS R9 290 4GB DDR5 PCIe 3.0
RAM 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 (Soon to be 16GB)
Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35
PSU: is 500w I forget the brand

Velinzor

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Yea for sure APU's arn't that good, how much better performace do you think I am going to get with the 860K I've watched alot of videos people playing maxed settings in starwars battlefront with this CPU with the FM2 socket with the R9 290 running ultra with 60-80 FPS so im excited :D

I really cant tell because there is not much reliable info on the lower end CPU performance compared to upper level CPU's. I take those amateur video's with a grain of salt since often I see them conflict with what reputable hardware sites report.

Velinzor

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

Yea, every time I look up the 860X with a R9 290 its just a bunch of people saying bottleneck and a bunch of intel fanboys saying its not good enough etc. I really want to get this upgrade because without the GPU and the intergated graphic in the A6-6400K isn't really that good to run the AAA titles so thats why im looking into getting this processor because it can run the 860k at a sustainable fps in rather higher settings witch would make my gameplay more enjoyable

Velinzor

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015

I think I'm going to stay with the Athlon.. Average fps was 51 that's pretty smooth and you wouldn't really notice any frames being lost. I was looking at the Fx series... I was gonna get the Fx 8350 8 core but my socket is FM2 and the FX series are all AM3 but I fell really confident in the Athlons performance. Yes Intel is very good and do make better cpu's just don't have their overclocking down yet... and i fell intel cpu's are overpriced sometimes. But I feel very confident in the Athlon.. thank you for your suggestions :)

TRENDING THREADS