Question Will my cpu work with a b450m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
According to this CPU support list;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-cpu
so long as you have BIOS version F60 on the board, out of the box, you should be good to drop that APU onto the socket and then move ahead with your build.

No, the board does not have QFLASH option to flash the BIOS without a prior CPU in the socket.

I really want to switch the moatherboard since it's an hp motherboard so i can't xmp the ram
Are you working with an HP prebuilt? If so, what is the model and SKU to your prebuilt?

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
According to this CPU support list;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-cpu
so long as you have BIOS version F60 on the board, out of the box, you should be good to drop that APU onto the socket and then move ahead with your build.

No, the board does not have QFLASH option to flash the BIOS without a prior CPU in the socket.

I really want to switch the moatherboard since it's an hp motherboard so i can't xmp the ram
Are you working with an HP prebuilt? If so, what is the model and SKU to your prebuilt?
Does this happen with all motherboards? Or only the b450m?

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
You might want to elaborate those questions. You also didn't answer my other question prior to yours.
Oh sorry i didn't see the question down there.
Yes im working with an hp prebuilt, i don't know the model, but here is the motherboard link https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c06955243
it has a 1660super, ryzen 5 4600g, 8gb ram which i upgraded to 16, and an m.2 drive
what i meant with that question is that if that problem happens with all b450m variants.

Lutfij

Titan
You will need to go through each board's supported CPU's list to be sure what BIOS version you're going to need before you can drop in that APU of yours. In fact if you look at a motherboard that has any form of BIOS flash utility that doesn't need a processor or ram on it, then you should be good to go. However why are you solely looking at B450 chipset? You could look into a B550 chipset as well...however please keep in mind that swapping the motherboard out of a prebuilt is only going to drive your investments towards negative. At a time when every penny is crucial, I'd advise against a swap if it were a prebuilt.

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
You will need to go through each board's supported CPU's list to be sure what BIOS version you're going to need before you can drop in that APU of yours. In fact if you look at a motherboard that has any form of BIOS flash utility that doesn't need a processor or ram on it, then you should be good to go. However why are you solely looking at B450 chipset? You could look into a B550 chipset as well...however please keep in mind that swapping the motherboard out of a prebuilt is only going to drive your investments towards negative. At a time when every penny is crucial, I'd advise against a swap if it were a prebuilt.
The thing is i can't xmp the ram, which is affecting the cpu performance, the hp motherboard won't let me put the ram at 3200mhz so it's stuck at 2133mhz, that's the main reason why im upgrading, im also upgrading the psu but it won't fit on the case, so i got a new case too.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh sorry i didn't see the question down there.
Yes im working with an hp prebuilt, i don't know the model, but here is the motherboard link https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c06955243
it has a 1660super, ryzen 5 4600g, 8gb ram which i upgraded to 16, and an m.2 drive
what i meant with that question is that if that problem happens with all b450m variants.

It is a generally applicable "problem" for b450 motherboards. Those motherboards came out in mid-2018 and the 4600G came out two years later. Most though not all manufacturers were moving onto b550 motherboards by the time 4600Gs were coming out and when new CPUs are released, they don't recall unsold motherboards in the wild and update them. I wouldn't characterize it as a problem; you can't expect motherboards to have microcode for CPUs that don't yet exist. It's an inevitable issue that was going to pop up when AMD was willing to have the socket in use for so long.

chriswa2002

Honorable
Feb 24, 2017
It is a generally applicable "problem" for b450 motherboards. Those motherboards came out in mid-2018 and the 4600G came out two years later. Most though not all manufacturers were moving onto b550 motherboards by the time 4600Gs were coming out and when new CPUs are released, they don't recall unsold motherboards in the wild and update them. I wouldn't characterize it as a problem; you can't expect motherboards to have microcode for CPUs that don't yet exist. It's an inevitable issue that was going to pop up when AMD was willing to have the socket in use for so long.
Ohh alright alright, hey but the motherboard i linked should be good to go since it has the flash button right?

Status
Not open for further replies.