[SOLVED] Will my current PSU be okay if I ever upgrade CPU & GPU?

Jamry

Honorable
Mar 30, 2017
Current specs at the moment:

R7 1700 (Upgrading to R5 5600x)
16GB Ram
Sapphire Nitro+ 8 GB RX 570 (Still not decided, though I am leaning towards RX 6600 XT/RTX 2070 Super)
Seasonic M12II Evo 520w

Many thanks!

Solution
I'd personally be uneasy with it given the way newer Ryzen processors aggressively boost their power, but it's not likely to be actually dangerous; it's an archaic, inappropriate design to be using with modern equipment, but given the manufacturer, it's a well-made archaic, inappropriate design.

The proposed upgrade would be just fine.

DSzymborski

Titan
I'd personally be uneasy with it given the way newer Ryzen processors aggressively boost their power, but it's not likely to be actually dangerous; it's an archaic, inappropriate design to be using with modern equipment, but given the manufacturer, it's a well-made archaic, inappropriate design.

Reactions: Jamry
Solution

Jamry

Honorable
Mar 30, 2017

Thank you sir, might as well upgrade my PSU before putting the CPU in. Better be safe than not!

EDIT: Wording