[SOLVED] Will my Data be destroyed after a MBR to GPT conversion?

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016
I would like to convert from MBR to GPT. Before doing so, backed up my current Windows 10 by creating a 'disk image' with Macrium Reflect. I dd so because I want to retaaing all of my files and setting when the GPT conversion is complete.

This disk image was done so just in case my just in case my Windows 10 files became damaged or even deleted during the MBR to GPT conversion. As an added measure, I also did a 'system backup' with AOMEI Backupper, too.

Will I still be able to use my same backups after the MBR to GPT conversion is completed, or will this be a non-compatible total data destructive process and I would have to reinstall Windows 10 all over again??? <arrrgh!!!>

Specs:
Mother Board: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
System Memory (RAM): G.SKILL TridentX Series DDR3 SDRAM 16GB
Hard Drive: SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 1TB

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Solution
Thank you for replying. Yes, I will certainly make new backups, but will I lose all of my current Win 10 files/setup after the conversion?
MBTtoGPT should NOT mess up anything.
Key word...should.

If it does, you have the current Macrium full drive backup to fall back to.
If it does not (and it shouldn't), then you move on with a GPT system and new Macrium images.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for replying. Yes, I will certainly make new backups, but will I lose all of my current Win 10 files/setup after the conversion?
MBTtoGPT should NOT mess up anything.
Key word...should.

If it does, you have the current Macrium full drive backup to fall back to.
If it does not (and it shouldn't), then you move on with a GPT system and new Macrium images.

Reactions: Sailor R Thomas
Solution

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts