[SOLVED] will my data be there if I take external drive out of case?

Solution
Elements are not encrypted. Some (all?) Seagate enclosures use a sector size of 4096 bytes, in which case the data would be inaccessible via a direct SATA connection to you motherboard.
some external housing use types of proprietary encryption with their drives. so when removing from the housing you may not be able to easily access, or access the data at all.
most newer externals i've used for the last few years did not have this feature in use though.

research the drive itself online or contact manufacturer tech support to determine if this one does.

Reactions: kanewolf

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
some external housing use types of proprietary encryption with their drives. so when removing from the housing you may not be able to easily access, or access the data at all.
most newer externals i've used for the last few years did not have this feature in use though.

research the drive itself online or contact manufacturer tech support to determine if this one does.
thats why I asked, I heard something about encryption.

I have 2 external 8 terabyte drives. Amazon.com: WD 8TB Elements Desktop Hard Drive HDD, USB 3.0, Compatible with PC, Mac, PS4 & Xbox - WDBWLG0080HBK-NESN: Computers & Accessories and Seagate Expansion Desktop Hard Drive 8TB HDD External - Newegg.com

If the usb controller died and I had to hook them up to sata, would my data be there the same way it was when it was in the external bay? Would there be any difference?
While everything is working ok take each disk out of the enclosures and connect them up via sata.
That should tell you if you can do what your talking about if you have a failure.

Latest posts