Question DDR3 and DDR4 compatibility question

Dec 3, 2020
Will my ddr3 compatible CPU work with ddr4 ram and ddr4 compatible motherboard?

Hi, I'm new to this forum so apologies if I miss anything out.

I have an Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 processor, and on the Intel website it has listed next to memory types: DDR3 and DDR3L 1333/1600 at 1.5V.

I am looking to replace my motherboard and ram both of which will be ddr4 spec.

If I buy a mobo that supports DDR4 together with DDR4 ram, will my CPU still work but at the lower DDR3 speed, or will it not work at all.

I cant afford a new CPU right now, so I will be looking to upgrade it to be DDR4 compatible in the coming months. Meanwhile I have to replace my mobo since it has broken.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Unfortunately the IMC(integrated memory controller) on that Xeon can only deal with DDR3(and their ilk) memory, so no, it won't work., You'll need a new processor to pair with the DDR4 motherboard and ram combo. To note, the processor is from the Haswell platform, so that's not going to handle DDR4 any which way you look at it.

Lutfij

Titan

Unfortunately the IMC(integrated memory controller) on that Xeon can only deal with DDR3(and their ilk) memory, so no, it won't work., You'll need a new processor to pair with the DDR4 motherboard and ram combo. To note, the processor is from the Haswell platform, so that's not going to handle DDR4 any which way you look at it.

Solution
Dec 3, 2020

Okay thank you, going to be an expensive rebuild -_-