[SOLVED] Will my DDR4 and CPU work together?

Aug 17, 2020
I am building a computer for the very first time. I have AsRock B550M Pro4 Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, and Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4. I just noticed that on the packaging for the DDR4 it says that it supports Intel Core but doesn't say anything about AMD. I am worried that the DDR4 won't work properly. Am I going to have problems?

Solution
It will be fine. RAM is RAM ultimately. Most of the "made for AMD" and "made for Intel" is a good amount of marketing. As long as it's the correct type of RAM, it is a speed supported by your board/CPU, and you're not mixing modules from different packs, you'll be fine.

To be certain, you can always visit the RAM manufacturers support list for your particular model.
The Motherboard will also have a support list but due to the sheer number of RAM modules released, it will never be up to date in reality.

However Corsair LPX is rarely not supported on any motherboard.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
It will be fine. RAM is RAM ultimately. Most of the "made for AMD" and "made for Intel" is a good amount of marketing. As long as it's the correct type of RAM, it is a speed supported by your board/CPU, and you're not mixing modules from different packs, you'll be fine.

To be certain, you can always visit the RAM manufacturers support list for your particular model.
The Motherboard will also have a support list but due to the sheer number of RAM modules released, it will never be up to date in reality.

Solution
Aug 17, 2020

You be certain, you can always visit the RAM manufacturers support list for your particular model.

Thank you! Sometimes I am awed by just how much I don't know. 🆒 But that's one of the reasons I wanted to build a computer in the first place - I knew I'd learn way more by doing something than just trying to read. Sometime this or next week I will try to boot for the first time. Wish me luck!

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thank you! Sometimes I am awed by just how much I don't know. 🆒 But that's one of the reasons I wanted to build a computer in the first place - I knew I'd learn way more by doing something than just trying to read. Sometime this or next week I will try to boot for the first time. Wish me luck!
Well if it's your first time building, feel free to check out this guide too -> https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/ which covers some of the less obvious things when putting together a parts list :) as I have no doubt you've already reviewed the many fantastics gudies by memebers on this forum anyway.

Aug 17, 2020
Well if it's your first time building, feel free to check out this guide too -> https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/ which covers some of the less obvious things when putting together a parts list :) as I have no doubt you've already reviewed the many fantastics gudies by memebers on this forum anyway.
That is some good info. I followed a build guide from logical increments but had to make a few substitutions because of availability. Here is what I ended up with:

Corsair 88R Micro-ATX Case
ASRock B550M PRo4 Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
ASRock Radeon 5500 XT GPU
Intel 660p M.2 2280 2TB PCIe3 SSD
EVGA 850W Gold PSU (I had a hard time finding a PSU)
Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x8GB)

The only things I don't have yet are a WifiCard and Windows 10.