Question Will my desktop perfomance decrease if update my 2x8gb x8bit ram to 2x16gb x16bit ram?

mcan226

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2017
Hello, eveyone. I hope you are doing fine. Please excuse my English since it is not my first language.

Currently I have a desktop with two 3200 8gb kingston fury beast, KF432C16BB/8 which has 8 chips of 8bit and 16-18-18 at 3200.

I was looking to building a new computer for my mother and it occured to me that I could give her my 2x8gb and upgrade myself to 2x16.

Apparently, due to the chip shortage, many companies have started to use 16bit chips instead of 8bit and the most common kingston fury beast 3200 16gb is the KF432C16BB/16, which comes with 8 chips of 16bit at 16-20-20. There's an 8bit version (note that these do have 16-18-18 timings), but I can't get it in my country and I can't buy it abroad since my government won't allow it.

For what I have read, 16bit chips are way less powerful than 8bit chips, due to de the low density. (hence the higher timings) But everything out there talks about their perfomance on laptops, not desktops. e.g. LTT

Kingston even embraces these new 16bit chips, saying that they are "better" specially in power consumption, but they do not say anything about perfomance.

Other companies don't seem talk about the subject, but at least the 3200 16gb patriots viper steels and corsair vengeance LPX that I can get also share the 16-20-20 timings, so maybe they are also using them.

Here's my main concern: I intend to play many games that won't need the more than 16gb of ram, but some of them do need 11 to 15gb of ram, with nothing else opened, and I was thinking that maybe having 32gb will "keep me safer and make things more stable". But my concern is that maybe those low density rams will actually make the perfomance worse, since my current 2x8 has better timings and more density.

I play at 1080p at 60fps so, is the decrease in perfomance a possibility? Will it be in a significant margin? Should I wait until I actually need 32gb of ram and then see if ram companies start making high density chips again?

My specs:
  • CPU: i5-12400
  • MOBO: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4
  • GPU: PALIT NVIDIA 3060ti
  • SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 1TB.
  • 750W PSU
  • 2X8gb 3200 16-18-18 Kingston fury beast

Btw, I don't want to go 4x8gb since I have read that XMP won't be as smooth as with 2 sticks, and I don't want to manually overclock them.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help, my best wishes to all of you.

I play at 1080p at 60fps
by gaming enthusiasts these days, and even most of the larger PC game developers, this is considered pretty low end.

you should list what games in particular you are concerned about now,
which games you may be looking into for the future,
and what type of in-game settings and performance you would be expecting in those games.

the resolution and FPS doesn't describe what type of graphics quality you would be expecting or what type of game engine you plan on experiencing it on.

mcan226

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2017
by gaming enthusiasts these days, and even most of the larger PC game developers, this is considered pretty low end.

you should list what games in particular you are concerned about now,
which games you may be looking into for the future,
and what type of in-game settings and performance you would be expecting in those games.
Well, I'm concerned the most about those that are near the 16gb limit.

Currently the most demanding game I'm playing is fortnite, with a mix of high-epic settings without RT. It uses at the moment 14gb of ram on my system while playing, but i have seen some recent benchmarks where it tends to use almost 16gb at 1080p without rt, and maybe my system is just using 14 cause it doesn't have anymore to spare.

I also intend to play PUBG, Mordhau and For Honor, which I have seen using 12gb of ram at high settings in some benchmarks.

I don't intend to play games that really needs more than 16gb like hogwarts legacy at the moment

My concern is that, since the x16bit seems to be slower, those game will fail to achieve 1080p 60fps without stutters at high settings, and that would destroy the whole purpose of upgrading my ram.

Hello, eveyone. I hope you are doing fine. Please excuse my English since it is not my first language.

Currently I have a desktop with two 3200 8gb kingston fury beast, KF432C16BB/8 which has 8 chips of 8bit and 16-18-18 at 3200.

I was looking to building a new computer for my mother and it occured to me that I could give her my 2x8gb and upgrade myself to 2x16.

Apparently, due to the chip shortage, many companies have started to use 16bit chips instead of 8bit and the most common kingston fury beast 3200 16gb is the KF432C16BB/16, which comes with 8 chips of 16bit at 16-20-20. There's an 8bit version (note that these do have 16-18-18 timings), but I can't get it in my country and I can't buy it abroad since my government won't allow it.

For what I have read, 16bit chips are way less powerful than 8bit chips, due to de the low density. (hence the higher timings) But everything out there talks about their perfomance on laptops, not desktops. e.g. LTT

Kingston even embraces these new 16bit chips, saying that they are "better" specially in power consumption, but they do not say anything about perfomance.

Other companies don't seem talk about the subject, but at least the 3200 16gb patriots viper steels and corsair vengeance LPX that I can get also share the 16-20-20 timings, so maybe they are also using them.

Here's my main concern: I intend to play many games that won't need the more than 16gb of ram, but some of them do need 11 to 15gb of ram, with nothing else opened, and I was thinking that maybe having 32gb will "keep me safer and make things more stable". But my concern is that maybe those low density rams will actually make the perfomance worse, since my current 2x8 has better timings and more density.

I play at 1080p at 60fps so, is the decrease in perfomance a possibility? Will it be in a significant margin? Should I wait until I actually need 32gb of ram and then see if ram companies start making high density chips again?

My specs:
  • CPU: i5-12400
  • MOBO: MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI DDR4
  • GPU: PALIT NVIDIA 3060ti
  • SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 1TB.
  • 750W PSU
  • 2X8gb 3200 16-18-18 Kingston fury beast

Btw, I don't want to go 4x8gb since I have read that XMP won't be as smooth as with 2 sticks, and I don't want to manually overclock them.

Thanks everyone in advance for your help, my best wishes to all of you.
Get the new ram and test.
If you don't like it send it back.