[SOLVED] Will my digital license work with this setup?

Qwob

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
Im upgrading to a completely new setup and plan on installing windows on an m.2 via a usb with windows 10 recovery media on it.
My question is, am I able to sign in to my microsoft account so it finds my license from my current PC or will I need to rebuy because its being reinstalled on new hardware.
Sidenote: my previous upgrade involved changing motherboard and CPU and windows still booted fine

If the above is true and I do need a product key, can I install my current HDD; boot into windows on that and then install windows on my m.2?

Last edited:
Solution
My OS is already linked to my MS account so im assuming it should just work then

You'd think, yes.

However, a third motherboard (assuming it activated the last time, truly) might be a stretch.

The good thing is, you don't need a license. So you can clean install, you can run the troubleshooter and if it activates, great. If it doesn't, use the live chat feature to talk to MS directly, and they'll likely activate it for you.

If all else fails, then you can at least run unactivated if you don't want to buy a new license.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Sidenote: my previous upgrade involved changing motherboard and CPU and windows still booted fine

"booted"? Did you actually reinstall, or did you just plug in your drive from an older system and run like that?

If you clean installed, you should be fine to proceed. If you didn't, you may not actually be activated.

If you're activated & legit right now, then link your OS license to your MS account prior to performing a 'significant hardware change'. Then proceed.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

Chances are, you'll need to run the troubleshooter to reactivate after the change(s) - which is detailed in the link.

As far as going about a clean install, sounds like you know... but I'll like this anyway:
https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Qwob

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
"booted"? Did you actually reinstall, or did you just plug in your drive from an older system and run like that?
Yeah my bad probably should have specified that, I meant with an already running version of windows on the hard drive

My OS is already linked to my MS account so im assuming it should just work then

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

You'd think, yes.

However, a third motherboard (assuming it activated the last time, truly) might be a stretch.

The good thing is, you don't need a license. So you can clean install, you can run the troubleshooter and if it activates, great. If it doesn't, use the live chat feature to talk to MS directly, and they'll likely activate it for you.

If all else fails, then you can at least run unactivated if you don't want to buy a new license.

Reactions: Qwob
Solution

Qwob

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
You'd think, yes.

Alright thanks for your help, I'll try it out tommorow

Qwob

Reputable
Nov 24, 2016
After upgrading I've gotten into windows but its unactivated.
I've tried using the activation troubleshooter and selected 'I've recently changed hardware' but even after that it says unable to activate.
I also tried calling up microsoft and they said either get proof of purchase for my 6-7 year old OEM machine or buy a new key.

It sucks but on the bright side I have a way faster PC now