[SOLVED] Will my EVGA 450w BT psu run a Asus Rog Strix RX 580 8gb OC?

decoyfuture

Reputable
Jun 14, 2018
My pc components are:
Ryzen 5 2400g running at 3.7 GHz and the CPU Vcore is 1.4 (motherboard put it automatically)
2x4gb Ram clocked at 2933 Mhz
My case has 4 fans, 3 rbg fans at the front (Molex) and 1 non rgb on the back (CPU motherboard header)
I also have Razer Blackwidow Chroma and Razer Deathadder Chroma.
and an LCD 19" monitor (1440x900).

Solution
I would definitely recommend an upgrade here. I had a similar problem to you when I upgraded from a 750-ti to a 970. I only had a 430W psu. Lucky for me, it was a quality unit and lasted a couple months until I could scrape together enough money to upgrade to a be-quiet! 650W unit. This is likely what you will have to do (unless you can afford it of course), and I definitely, with all my heart, do not recommend it.

The PSU is the heart of your system (the cpu is the brains), and the thing about hearts, is that if they die, they tend to take everything else with them. Basically if your PSU shorts you'll lose your new card and entire system. Not many PSU companies like to cover you for anything more than their products (except for...

No, get a better quality PSU than that, that is NOT a quality unit.

I would recommend getting a good quality 550W unit.

Seasonic Focus Plus
EVGA G2 or G3
Corsair RMX

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015
I would definitely recommend an upgrade here. I had a similar problem to you when I upgraded from a 750-ti to a 970. I only had a 430W psu. Lucky for me, it was a quality unit and lasted a couple months until I could scrape together enough money to upgrade to a be-quiet! 650W unit. This is likely what you will have to do (unless you can afford it of course), and I definitely, with all my heart, do not recommend it.

The PSU is the heart of your system (the cpu is the brains), and the thing about hearts, is that if they die, they tend to take everything else with them. Basically if your PSU shorts you'll lose your new card and entire system. Not many PSU companies like to cover you for anything more than their products (except for EVGA). While this scenario is unlikely, its a risk that I wouldn't take.

I would like to add that your particular card is notorious for being very power hungry, this further adds to my point.

If you need more money, wait and save for a little longer. You will hear many stories about how people have been just fine with low quality power supplies, but don't risk it. I have a friend who lost a 980ti (back when it was new), along with an entire system, because his PSU was under-rated. The manufacturer (seasonic) would not cover him because it was his fault for being careless and skimping on the PSU. No one wants to go through that. You just don't want that thought always in your head that your system is at risk, especially when you get under load.

For a general guide for buying PSUs:
*Get more than you need (future proofing)
*Respectable brands
*80+ bronze rating minimum
*Research the hell out of it.
*Good reviews ONLY

Good luck with your search! :)

Solution

Shock34

Reputable
Nov 1, 2015

TDP is the maximum power consumption the card can reach, which means your HD7870 most likely never reached that limit, leading you to believe the 500W was enough, when in fact, if that card ever got to 100% for a long period of time, the PSU was at a high risk of crumbling. Low quality PSUs are also known for not actually having their advertised wattage, so it was likely 430-450W.

props for living on the edge!