[SOLVED] Will my existing Win7 key work with an installation on a new drive?

Jun 14, 2020
Hi, I'm going to have to install a new main HDD on my rig and I'm planning to dual install Windows 7 and Windows 10 for a dual boot option. My rig was prebuilt and I've customized it over time; the key is apparently on the side of my machine, on a sticker. If I do end up reinstalling 7 on a new drive, will that key work for activation?

I only ask this because I've heard that sometimes, hardware changes can make activation of Windows a bit of a pain. I've already been dealing with a lot of garbage related to this PC lately, so more pain is the last thing I want to deal with right now haha.

All responses are appreciated!

Jun 14, 2020
At this point, that may be my only option for now. I considered buying via a third-party site like Kinguin since that was a site listed on an article here on Tom's Hardware, but I'm a little leery of buying from a third-party company. Sure, it'd cost less than $40 (with the buyer insurance or whatever) as opposed to what Microsoft charges, but still, that's not really money I can spare right at this time. Frankly, the only reason I'm even considering buying a new disk drive is because I use my system for things related to my career in addition to the games I play and my laptop won't suffice for everything.

It's unfortunate, though, because I do get OCD about customizing the appearance of my OS to be just right lol

Jun 14, 2020
Well, this article mentions the site and I read mixed opinions on it, that's why it's a consideration but I'll probably wait until ~$40 isn't such a big potential loss for me. I definitely don't want to pay $140 for a key any time soon but my opinion may change down the road depending on if 10 ends up being good enough for me to do so. It's doubtful, though, as my experiences with 10 so far (on family members' PCs) as well as friends/family members' experiences, have been atrocious. Forced updates in the middle of a game or a project, the OS uninstalling programs and games for no reason at all, accounts getting corrupted seemingly beyond repair, etc.

Jun 14, 2020
It could just be a fluke but my brother has had consistent issues with it, my grandmother's PC had the account corruption error and some of my online friends have witnessed some of those issues as well, which is why it makes me nervous. Plus, it lacks compatibility with some older games that I have which don't run via Steam, GOG, etc, which is probably the biggest reason why I want to run a dual boot with 7 and 10.