[SOLVED] Will my GPU be downgraded on new motherboard ?

Jul 24, 2021
Hi there, not sure if this is a graphics or motherboard question but i bought a chunky gtx 1650 4gb card which i think i'm happy with. And i have a Asus p9x79 motherboard coming at the start of the week. It looks old but has a i7-4820 cpu and 16gbs Ram so seems half decent at least

But Google just told me that p9x79 motherboards have PCIe 2.0 slots not 3.0 which seems to be not as good. They're apparently ok at running 2 gpus though

If i leave the 1gig gpu that's already on the motherboard in place ..and use my new 1650 4gb as well, will the older gpu help compensate for any loss of "bandwidth" whatever that is, that apparently you loose when using pcie2 instead of pcie3 ??

Sorry if this sounds silly/naive But i'm new to pcs and on a super small budget now as i just bought a different pc that my new graphics card wont even fit inside haha

Any help/advice would be super appreciated

Jul 24, 2021
Yeah, i didnt have a budget, then had even less when i had to get a motherboard, so these are the best i could get as i wanted something quickly.

I just need half reasonable, which my tiny pc would've probably done, but as i wasn't sure what the difference is, i was worried about these PCIe slots making something go from half way to decent, to not fit for purpose

Jul 24, 2021
Oh cool, thank you. I watched a yt video of a guy playing Red dead redemption2, using the same graphics card and cpu at 1080p and it wasn't horrible (i was hoping for not horrible) so no performance loss, sounds like a win to me. Yaay!
Thanks again

Also, do not run both GPUs in the system together like you were considering. Multiple GPUs are supposed to be identical, and even in the best cases, are hardly useful in modern situations. You may actually reduce performance by using both at once.