[SOLVED] Will my GPU continue to work with this DVI>VGA adapter on my new build?

ronaldofslopes

Commendable
Jul 9, 2018
Hello. First off, I'm not extremely tech-savvy so please bear with me and use layman language if you'd be so kind. :]

I'm building a new rig, utilizing a new: MoBo; CPU; x2 RAM Sticks; SSD.

I'm keeping and re-utilizing the following parts: PSU; Off-board GPU; HDD.

So, my current MoBo is a GA-78LMT-USB3 and my current GPU is a R9 270 (DVI-I). The GPU is plugged into a monitor which only supports VGA through a DVI>VGA adapter (I think) that looks like this. Everything works fine and I get video signal on that monitor, quality is fine and gaming is perfect.

I'm upgrading to a B450M DS3H and using the same GPU (R9 270) on that, same cables and same adapter.

My question is: Is it gonna work or am I gonna have complications?

I'm asking this because I've checked a couple posts about the matter online and apparently people had problems making this work on their B450 DS3H? The specifications on my MoBo say the DVI-D port is not to be used with D-SUB thingies, which I'm assuming are the current adapters I use? Either way, that would be the integrated GPU DVI-D, not my off-board GPU, right? I am just checking. The online page about my current GA-78LMT-USB3 also says its DVI-D does not support the D-SUB thingies, but that weird adapter worked on its integrated GPU's DVI plug as well.

I'm confused.

Solution
Hello. First off, I'm not extremely tech-savvy so please bear with me and use layman language if you'd be so kind. :]

So, my current MoBo is a GA-78LMT-USB3 and my current GPU is a R9 270 (DVI-I). The GPU is plugged into a monitor which only supports VGA through a DVI>VGA adapter (I think) that looks like this. Everything works fine and I get video signal on that monitor, quality is fine and gaming is perfect.

I'm upgrading to a B450M DS3H and using the same GPU (R9 270) on that, same cables and same adapter.

My question is: Is it gonna work or...

kanewolf

Titan

My question is: Is it gonna work or am I gonna have complications?

I'm asking this because I've checked a couple posts about the matter online and apparently people had problems making this work on their B450 DS3H? The specifications on my MoBo say the DVI-D port is not to be used with D-SUB thingies, which I'm assuming are the current adapters I use? Either way, that would be the integrated GPU DVI-D, not my off-board GPU, right? I am just checking. The online page about my current GA-78LMT-USB3 also says its DVI-D does not support the D-SUB thingies, but that weird adapter worked on its integrated GPU's DVI plug as well.

I'm confused.
If the adapter wors with that GPU today, it will work with it when you swap motherboards.
Most motherboard swaps REQUIRE a clean OS install. You should prepare for that.

Solution