Question Will my GPU get bottlenecked by this new CPU?

David_24_

Commendable
Apr 3, 2017
I have a 1050ti G1 Gaming and I was wondering if the i5 9600k will bottleneck my GPU. If so, what other options would you recommend? Ryzen 2600?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Bottleneck is a very misused term.

Can the CPU typically handle a better GPU? Yes.

But bottle-necking is dynamic and application dependent. In CPU intensive games, you will find a CPU will bottleneck, in GPU intensive games you will find a GPU will bottleneck etc.

The 1050ti is a budget entry level gaming GPU - so nearly any CPU upgrade worthwhile will likely also want a GPU upgrade with it. That being said, there is nothing wrong with a bottleneck per se, it just means you won't be able to achieve full capability of certain applications until you 'upgrade the bottleneck'.

Jun 9, 2019
No. The i5 is actually a very solid choice for the 1050 ti. It will be an ideal combo, smooth frame rate, good frames per second. Good choices, good luck! No need to worry for bottlenecking.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
No. The i5 is actually a very solid choice for the 1050 ti. It will be an ideal combo, smooth frame rate, good frames per second. Good choices, good luck! No need to worry for bottlenecking.
Sorry - respectfully I disagree. As we've said previously - bottle-necking is completely application dependent. So there will undoubtedly be times when a 1050 Ti may hit 100% utilisation in GPU intensive applications.

I know others who run the 9600k easily with a 2060 or a 2070 and some with a 2080 when it is overclocked. Which is way above a 1050 Ti.