[SOLVED] WILL MY GPU SUPPORT 1440p @ 144hz

veeranna

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
I brought LG 32gk650f 144hz monitor.
I HAVE i5 4670k , ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VI HERO MOBO, Gskill ripjaws 1866Hz 8GB ram
My GPU is
radeon HD 7870 with 2GB VRAM
CAN MY GPU RUN 1440P AT 144Hz currently its struck at 60 hz.
tried with HDMI port2 , drivers are updated till date.( tried changing from display adapter setting)
  • HDMI ver 2.0 cable do the trick ( I dont know which version cable i have )
  • Or Do i have to change the GPU itself. ( GPU prices are very high as all know cant afford)

Please guide me . is there any way to get it done?
1- DVI
HDMI port - 1.4a ver ,
2 mini DP ports
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series - Primary/Discrete
VRAM - 2048 MB - GDDR5 1200 MHz
Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0
Memory Clock - 1200 MHz
Core Clock - 1000 MHz .
Total Memory Bandwidth - 153 GByte/s
Memory Bit Rate - 4.80 Gbps

Solution
Hi veeranna. HDMI 1.4 maxes out at 2560×1440 at 60Hz. An HDMI 2.0 cable wouldn't help you either, because your card doesn't support that spec. And DVI doesn't support that resolution and frame rate, according to the specs immediately below. Your only choice is a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (linked at bottom)

single link 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

dual link 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort(Mini DP to DP) Cable, 6.6 Feet,4K@60Hz / 2K@144Hz, iVANKY DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort(Thunderbolt Compatible) Cable - Grey
$10.99...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
your not gonna see 144hz at 1440p with that old gpu.

maybe on a 10+ year old game which likely wont' support that resolution anyway.

you need a lot more gpu power to play at those levels with new games.

the cpu might be able to handle it with a new gpu but i'd have to look up some very old benchmarks to be sure.

the reality is that you are looking for high end 2020 performance out of a 2014 pc. not really gonna happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: RagedAPE

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i'm confused then. you asked if it was possible and i said no, then you say you already knew that??

i understand prices are insane for gpu's as they are everywhere on the planet right now. but that does not change the capabilities of what is out there. for now you'll have to settle for whatever that card you have can do and wait like the rest of the world for things to stabilize and prices to come back down to normal levels again.

veeranna

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
i'm confused then. you asked if it was possible and i said no, then you say you already knew that??

i understand prices are insane for gpu's as they are everywhere on the planet right now. but that does not change the capabilities of what is out there. for now you'll have to settle for whatever that card you have can do and wait like the rest of the world for things to stabilize and prices to come back down to normal levels again.
thanks for your answers , i didnt meant for gaming i wanted to test out 144hz for at least in windows OS

Hi veeranna. HDMI 1.4 maxes out at 2560×1440 at 60Hz. An HDMI 2.0 cable wouldn't help you either, because your card doesn't support that spec. And DVI doesn't support that resolution and frame rate, according to the specs immediately below. Your only choice is a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable (linked at bottom)

single link 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

dual link 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort(Mini DP to DP) Cable, 6.6 Feet,4K@60Hz / 2K@144Hz, iVANKY DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort(Thunderbolt Compatible) Cable - Grey
$10.99

Solution