Will my GPU Upgrade be bottlenecked due to other components in this case?

Jan 2, 2019
I am still using a PC built more than 4 years back. Still working fine for me.
But unfortunately it looks like my GPU no longer meets minimum requirements for games like Nier Automata and Final Fantasy 15 and the upcoming Far Cry New Dawn. (I am looking to be able to play games at medium settings or high if possible).

I have 2 queries.

1. I want to upgrade just the GPU. I want it allow me to play any PC games at at least medium settings for next 2 years. But I worry my processor or motherboard would bottleneck. The following are my processor and motherboard. Will it bottleneck? Note that my processor is not overclocked and I don't intend to overclock it.

GPU: GTX 760

Mobo: MSI Z87-G43 ATX Motherboard (Intel Z87, 4x DDR3, DVI, HDMI, 4x USB3.0, GBE LAN, LGA1150 Socket)

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K Quad Core Retail CPU (Socket 1150, 3.40GHz, 6MB, Haswell, 84W, Intel Graphics, BX80646I74770, 4th Generation Intel Core, Turbo Boo

RAM: 8GB DDR3

2. I am looking at the GTX 1060 card for upgrade. Although it fits the requirements for now, I worry this would phase out very fast. What would be a better card to go for? Should I wait for the upcoming rumoured AMD GPU cards which are supposedly ground breaking?

But if I do end up getting the new AMD cards, will I end up with a bottle neck due to my CPU and MOBO?

Please advice. Thank you.

Solution
1) No you shouldnt have a problem upgrading to a 1060, but if you plan to stay on this platform another 8gb of ram would be good.

2) A 1060 6gb is a good upgrade and fits your requirements, but I would try and get one from the used market for cheaper - they have been out a couple of years now.

If you go for faster cards you might find your i5 a bottleneck in some games.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
1) No you shouldnt have a problem upgrading to a 1060, but if you plan to stay on this platform another 8gb of ram would be good.

2) A 1060 6gb is a good upgrade and fits your requirements, but I would try and get one from the used market for cheaper - they have been out a couple of years now.

If you go for faster cards you might find your i5 a bottleneck in some games.

Solution
Jan 2, 2019

I understand we can't really predict things. But in your opinion:

1. If I go for 1060 3GB would that be a safe card to play medium settings games for any AAA titles for next 2 years?

2. If I go for the upcoming AMD cards, even if there is a bottle neck due to mobo and cpu, would it still perform better than a 1060? Trying to evaluate this as a solution so that if I were to upgrade mobo and cpu in a year or so, the GPU is still in good shape and doesn't end up becoming the bottleneck. (Looking at the rumoured RX 3070 Card).

gasaraki

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
1. I would not get anything slower than a 1060 6GB and even that is getting old.
2. You always want your CPU to be the bottleneck so you want the best GPU possible. People worry about bottlenecking nowadays cause it's a fancy word. I'm running a 2080 on a X58 chipset and I get 100+ frames in Rise of the Tomb Raider on a 3440x1440 display. Your CPU is fine. Get the best GPU you can afford.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador

You have that wrong. you always want your GPU to be the bottleneck, so nothing else in the system is holding it back.