Will my graphics card be serverly bottlenecked?

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012
I have an older inspiron 580 that I have brought out of retirement so I can run windows 7 on it. I know graphics cards are backwards compatible and the motherboard has a PCI-e x16 lane on it. I'm guessing it is probably 1.0 but would something like a GTX 1060 6gb be severly bottlenecked? Or would I be good putting in something like the gtx 1050? I sort of have one of both sitting around doing nothing and I want a machine running windows 7.

Additional information:
i5 - 650 (3.2 GHZ) 2 core, 2 threads
450 watt power supply
8 GB DDR3 ram.

Solution
Assuming the graphics card will work on it (you may need to update the motherboard BIOS), then yes, the GTX 1060 will be "bottlenecked"....but this only means the card is restricted from reaching it's full potential. However, it would probably still out perform a 1050. You said you had both sitting around, if that's the case, there is no harm in trying as you're not going to care too much if it's only reaching 50% of it's full potential.
The i5-650 is 2 core, 4 threads.

You will see a CPU limitation in just about every game you play form the past few years with a GTX 1060 6GB. If you already have it sitting around doing nothing though,.. it might be better than the 1050.

One question though, what brand and model is your 450W PSU?

Assuming the graphics card will work on it (you may need to update the motherboard BIOS), then yes, the GTX 1060 will be "bottlenecked"....but this only means the card is restricted from reaching it's full potential. However, it would probably still out perform a 1050. You said you had both sitting around, if that's the case, there is no harm in trying as you're not going to care too much if it's only reaching 50% of it's full potential.

Solution

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012

It is a Corsair CX 450M, Bronze 80 plus. Got it cheap from newegg during fall clearance after sending in rebate I would have only spent $25, not bad for semi-modular.

Huh 50%, I mean it doesn't really sound too bad not really going to use it to play those really big titles. More or less planning to use it for older titles that won't run on Win 10. I also don't need to update bios, I did that ages ago.

mgallo848

Commendable

If you only plan of playing older titles that won't play on Windows 10 then there really isn't any reason to get an overkill card like a 1060. You could save money and get a GTX 1050ti that would still be plenty fast and even then that would get bottlenecked by the CPU.

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012

Like I said I already own them they are just lying around, still good advice though. xD

mgallo848

Commendable

No worries. I know you said you had the Dell lying around. Didn't know you already had the card.

Edit: You said "you sort of have one of both"? Do you have both cards? You could sell one and recoup some money

You guys do realize the CPU doesn't truly bottleneck the GPU? For example, if you throw a 1080 Ti in with a Dual Core E8400 for example, the 1080 Ti will still perform normally. However, the CPU will bottleneck the GAME, causing severe frame limitations. To make this as easy to understand as possible, your 1080 Ti will be performing normally at full speed, but the CPU won't be able to keep up, causing an unstable gaming session. It's not a matter of what component bottlenecks another, it's a matter of what component will be bottlenecking the activity you are attempting.

While you are playing GTA V, your CPU will not be bottlenecking the GPU, your CPU IS the bottleneck. Just trying to clarify things. Glad this was solved.

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012

Yeah I have both, I will probably manage the gtx 1050 in the windows 7 computer, then later when I can I'll probably make that Streaming computer and use the gtx 1060 in that.

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks for the clarification I sort of understood that from UFD Tech, but I wasn't sure if the lane itself might cause a problem since it isn't even PCI-e 2.0. As for the CPU it isn't worth upgrading it and the upgrade available is actually quite expensive, so it would be better to leave it at the state it is and use it for the older titles.

I often tell people that a bottleneck is simply the weakest component limiting the the final performance. As you pointed out, there is nothing wrong with the GPU, but if the CPU can't keep up, then there is no way for the GPU to know what the next frame should look like, so it needs to wait for the data.

Honestly, your best bet would to buy a cheap/used workstation computer such as a Dell Optiplex 7010 MT.

Optipelx 7010 Specs:
The video card clearance is 211mm. It allows up to an i7-3770K and 32 GB of DDR3 RAM @1333 MHz. It has two SATA III Ports, and two SATA II ports. The SATA II ports you can still run a HDD on full speed, so you can have two SSDs, and two HDDs at full speed. With two optical drive bays and two full length PCI-e slots, the sky is pretty much the limit. You can fit a regular ATX powersupply in it, however it does require you to remove the motherboard to do so.
Price: ~$70 on eBay

Mysteryman2000

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2012

I will keep that in mind, but it isn't really going to be a gaming pc for new games, my main PC has an i7-3770k with 21gb of ram, 2 gtx 980ti lightnings and a 850 watt power supply running on windows 10. I was just curious as to the sort of bottleneck I was looking at.