[SOLVED] Will my hardware get destroyed if I wish to try to overclock my GPU on my current build?

Aug 14, 2020
My current build is an ASUS EX-H310M-VR mobo, an Intel Core I5 8600, a Geforce GTX 960, a Hyperx 8GB RAM, an and Asus Monitor that runs 165HZ. I want to maximize my FPS because I really enjoy playing CSGO. Pls help. I want to attain 300+ fps consistently and currently im averaging around the 180 fps. What do you think needs to be replaced/modified?

Solution
It’s safe but you need to manage expectations. Assuming the gpu is the limiting factor going from 180 to 300 FPS is a 67% increase in performance. That is never going to happen by overclocking, 5-10% is a realistic expectation.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Fps is dictated by the cpu. It pre-renders all the frames. If the cpu cannot do 300fps, the gpu cannot reproduce frames that don't exist.

Drop all the settings, disable everything possible. That'll give you a hint as to what the cpu is capable of. If the cpu can't do 300fps (dunno why not, my i7-3770K can) then that's that.

It's on the gpu to finish render the frames and kick them out onscreen. Detail levels and resolution determine how many frames it can complete. But it can never do more than what the cpu sends it.

I7-3770K at 4.9GHz (CSGO is single thread, clock speed heavy) and gtx970 with 124%OC and I can get 300fps at ultra in Office. I'm down to just under 200fps in the more complex games, and around 150ish in Sand II, as that's a User Adopted map with a lot of AI and background objects. Competitive maps and I'm looking at 100-160fps dictated by the cpu, much more AI there with armor usage etc.

My current build is an ASUS EX-H310M-VR mobo, an Intel Core I5 8600, a Geforce GTX 960, a Hyperx 8GB RAM, an and Asus Monitor that runs 165HZ. I want to maximize my FPS because I really enjoy playing CSGO. Pls help. I want to attain 300+ fps consistently and currently im averaging around the 180 fps. What do you think needs to be replaced/modified?

Im sure this was answered already but you will never reach those frame rates unless you are running absurdly low resolution. That will cost you more in loss of detail than the frame rate will.

Second running faster than your monitor frame rate will do zip for you.

You cant overclock your cpu. And unless you are willing to replace everything for top tier stuff it wont do you any good. And doing that now is foolish.

I would concentrate on a faster internet. Lower ping times with a fatter connection and good router will help more than going above 160fps.

alexbirdie

Respectable
I7-3770K at 4.9GHz (CSGO is single thread, clock speed heavy) and gtx970 with 124%OC and I can get 300fps at ultra in Office. I'm down to just under 200fps in the more complex games, and around 150ish in Sand II, as that's a User Adopted map with a lot of AI and background objects. Competitive maps and I'm looking at 100-160fps dictated by the cpu, much more AI there with armor usage etc.

Because I did have a 3770k-system with a good cpu for many years, which made 4.5 Ghz with about 1.19 Volt and 4.6 Ghz with 1.24 volt ( CPU became very hot at 4.6 and therefore I stayed with 4.5 Ghz), I am interested which voltage you use fro 4.9 and which cooler you are using and if delidded. Thx a lot.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I did the research on i7 batches (that was a thing back then) so I got a better than average binned cpu. It could do 5.0GHz at 1.41v, but I was happier with 4.9GHz at 1.32v. Never delidded it, all my cores are within 5°C range from hottest to coolest.

It's pretty much the same idea, the precursor, to what Silicon Lottery does with cpus now, finding which batches seem to run better, lower voltages, higher OC.

At the time I was using a nzxt Kraken X61 on silent mode, with Prime95 small fft that got me 72°C under torture test.

Because I did have a 3770k-system with a good cpu for many years, which made 4.5 Ghz with about 1.19 Volt and 4.6 Ghz with 1.24 volt ( CPU became very hot at 4.6 and therefore I stayed with 4.5 Ghz), I am interested which voltage you use fro 4.9 and which cooler you are using and if delidded. Thx a lot.

I have 3770k. I could play 4.6GHz all day and night. Problem is it runs really hot even with a good water cooler. And if we run something like aida64 or prime95 it would crash above 4.4GHz. But a lot of that is silicon lottery and mother board choice and bios. Asus mITX on z77 is the best you can do. And too much voltage will cause silicon degredation.

Copying someones settings may or may not work for you. At 4.7GHz, it is a rarity. I've only seen a small handful hit 5GHz on Ivy Bridge with multiple samples on hand. And they always werent universally stable.

Im not trying to discourage you but you need to ask what you gain versus risk with a processor that old.

A better loaded ping time would benefit you more. A loaded ping of 50ms (which is low) means your pos and the players pos is only updated 20x/second.

Programmers try to compensate for this by creating swag guesses on position. But that leads to inaccuracies and it becomes a little bit of a crap shoot on odds

I have no idea why people concentrate on such obscenely high frame rates when ping hurts them so much more.

Last edited: