[SOLVED] Will my i5 7400 bottle neck my Rx 5700 xt (red devil)

Oct 16, 2019
I have a 1060 3gb and am going to upgrade to a Rx 5700 xt but I wanted to know if I should not upgrade it and upgrade my cpu (currently i5 7400)
To a Ryzen 5 3600
Which will be more useful to upgrade

Solution
CPUs generally cap the upper limits of FPS. Unfortunately different games stress the CPU different amounts. The best way to know if you're CPU-limited is to monitor CPU and GPU utilization. If the CPU is at/near 100% utilization and the GPU isn't, you're CPU-limited for that game and settings.

Think of it like this, the CPU tells the GPU to render each frame (gives the GPU some basic metadata about what should be rendered), depending on the amount of detail in that frame, it could take the GPU a short or long time to render it. If your GPU can render that frame before your CPU can tell it the next frame to render (less graphically demanding game, lower in-game settings, or more CPU overhead), it has to wait (less than 100%...
Oct 16, 2019
Seems like even a 5700 (non-XT) would be plenty.

Are you doing online gaming or offline/single player?
What type of games? (examples perhaps) Some care a lot about CPU, some don't.
I play competitively and sum single-player game like (Ex. Witcher 3, modded Skyrim,csgo,rainbow six siege, and more)
i feel like the 8gb upgrade would be amazing for my gaming but also dont know what the new cpus impact would be major or minor

koson123

Prominent
Oct 12, 2018
i would go for the gpu. even if you cant hit 144fps now if you upgraded your cpu you would have no discernable increase in performance. get the gpu first and see if it is enough.

CPUs generally cap the upper limits of FPS. Unfortunately different games stress the CPU different amounts. The best way to know if you're CPU-limited is to monitor CPU and GPU utilization. If the CPU is at/near 100% utilization and the GPU isn't, you're CPU-limited for that game and settings.

Think of it like this, the CPU tells the GPU to render each frame (gives the GPU some basic metadata about what should be rendered), depending on the amount of detail in that frame, it could take the GPU a short or long time to render it. If your GPU can render that frame before your CPU can tell it the next frame to render (less graphically demanding game, lower in-game settings, or more CPU overhead), it has to wait (less than 100% utilization). If your GPU isn't done rendering that frame before the CPU feeds it the next one, the CPU has to wait.

***Don't get too hung up on utilization, it's not a perfect science. There is some [free] testing you can do, namely with in-game graphics settings. If you lower the in-game settings and FPS doesn't increase, that generally means you're CPU-limited.

Solution