Will my i5-7600 bottleneck two graphics cards?

JoshR13

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017
I'm currently running a 750Ti with my base 7600 as when I originally bought it I didn't want to risk overclocking and ruining the whole PC. I am thinking about buying a 1060 6GB and use it in tandem with the older card. I would also buy a 144Hz monitor to be powered by the 1060 and keep the old card powering my second 60Hz monitor. Would my CPU be able to handle this? I'm not some one who likes to play AAA titles; I'm thinking more like Overwatch, CS:GO or Fortnite at 1080p while using my second monitor to either stream, browse the web etc. I don't really want to upgrade the CPU as it is quite a recent purchase, but please let me know if it will be necessary.
Thanks much!

Solution
That isn't how bottlenecking works. Bottlenecking is inevitable and will depend on game, graphical settings, and resolution. Also, it is 100% pointless to worry about bottlenecking when choosing parts...

Choose a CPU based on the FPS you want in the games you play.

Choose a GPU based on the FPS you want at the desired graphical settings / resolution in the games you play.

During Overwatch, the i5 7600 performs with a minimum of ~180FPS . The GTX 1060 performs a ~95FPS average (80FPS minimum) using 1080p at "EPIC Quality".

During CS:GO, the i5 7600 can perform well over 200FPS at all times, and same goes with the GTX 1060 at ultra quality, 1080p.

During Fortnite, ample reliable...

JoshR13

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017

So running games on the 144Hz monitor @ 1080p while browsing the web, watching Youtube etc. on the second will be fine?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's a 4-core i5. It's going to bottleneck (ugh I hate that term) in some games anyway, regardless of gpu used. You will get large frame drops in BF1, Starwars Battlefront, high server drop WoW or PUBG or any number of other high cpu detail, heavy cpu usage games. And depending on the game detail settings, things like AA or grass detail or viewing distance or physX will kill an older i5 trying to fill 144Hz refresh.
With a 1060 you'll need to cut back on high cpu usage details, don't use GeForce Experience, it's not that tailorable in a lot of details like that and will maximize the picture, more so than the fps, according to what it thinks you want to see, not what you want.

Using a second monitor for video, Google, wiki or other such stuff, takes almost no power from a gpu, it's such light demand that even integrated graphics has no problems. So you won't need the power draw of the second card on the cpu, nor the heat in your case, nor the larger psu to accommodate 2 cards. The only possible reason to use 2x cards would be an issue with the different refresh.

Rexper

Respectable
BANNED
Apr 12, 2017
That isn't how bottlenecking works. Bottlenecking is inevitable and will depend on game, graphical settings, and resolution. Also, it is 100% pointless to worry about bottlenecking when choosing parts...

Choose a CPU based on the FPS you want in the games you play.

Choose a GPU based on the FPS you want at the desired graphical settings / resolution in the games you play.

During Overwatch, the i5 7600 performs with a minimum of ~180FPS . The GTX 1060 performs a ~95FPS average (80FPS minimum) using 1080p at "EPIC Quality".

During CS:GO, the i5 7600 can perform well over 200FPS at all times, and same goes with the GTX 1060 at ultra quality, 1080p.

During Fortnite, ample reliable benchmarks have been made so far, though from what I've gather the i5 7600 should allow for 115FPS minimum, with epic draw distance. Whereas the GTX 1060 allows for ~60FPS minimum at epic settings, 1080p

Solution

JoshR13

Reputable
Mar 12, 2017

Thank you very much. I've just picked up the 1060 FTW for an absolute bargain at £150 and I'm looking forward to trying it out. Thanks to everyone for the help!

[EDIT] I think I'm also going to sell the 750 and use the money to buy some more RAM, as the 1060 will run fine. Thanks again for the help! :D

TRENDING THREADS