[SOLVED] Will my i5-9600k be a bottleneck?

JudeSaint

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 @ 3.70GHz
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1466MHz (15-17-17-35)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX Z390-H GAMING (LGA1151)
Graphics
U28E590 (2560x1440@60Hz)
S24D300 (1920x1080@60Hz)
S24D300 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)

My CPU actually sits at 4.6-4.8 with the auto overclock that AI-suite does. I am looking at upgrading my GFX to a rtx 2080 or 2080s ... I was told that my CPU would bottleneck me. Wondering if anyone here would have some insight on that.

Solution
Ok so you are disagreeing with the above and saying upgrade the GPU over upgrading my monitor to a higher refresh rate?
The others are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but they(?), as well as myself, weren't aware of the U28E590 being a 4k monitor - we(?) saw the 2560 x 1440 @ 60hz, and believed it to be a 2k monitor.
I didn't even think to check the model number at the time, I just saw the 3 resolutions and refreshes and went from there.

To answer your question, then yes. An RTX 2080 is a good pairing with a 4k monitor.
It's not a good pairing with either 1440p or 1080p @ 60hz monitors.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
There's 2 possible bottleneck scenarios with grabbing a 2080/Super.
Cpu bound games, and the terrible idea of getting such a beefy card when your main monitor is only 60hz - this defeats the purpose of getting this card.
Your next upgrade should be a high refresh main monitor, not a gpu.

Yes, that CPU probably WILL be a bottleneck when paired with either of those two cards. That doesn't mean it won't work, you're just probably going to see SOME reduction in performance on any titles that are highly optimized for multithreading.

Any titles that are primarily optimized for only single core, or a couple of cores, will likely not see a bottleneck at all.

It will vary based on the specific game, but it will be obvious for any games that can use more than six threads, although it might not be obvious to YOU unless you compare that performance against another CPU with more cores IF that game can actually utilize them.

If you don't plan to be recording, streaming and other heavy multitasking processes WHILE you are gaming, you'll probably be fine. If you do plan to do those things, then you might want a CPU with a few more cores or some hyperthreading.

As mentioned though, you'll easily do 60fps with that CPU and honestly without a higher refresh rate monitor, you don't need a bigger CPU or a graphics card that big. A 2070 or 2070 Super is plenty if you're only wanting to hit 60fps at 1440p. Some titles might pushing the limits of that though with ultra settings, so a 2080 might not be the worst idea ever especially if you have plans to upgrade to a higher refresh rate or higher resolution monitor at some point.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

JudeSaint

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
I mainly play Pubg with some Elite Dangerous and FFXIV thrown in ( all three completely different games i know) Since i have the funds for it i thought that going to a 2080 would be my best bet. I would very much like to play games at 1440 if possible (would LOVE to do Elite Dangerous at 4k since i think its a pretty gorgeous game but i digress...)
So lets be real than. Should i drop 300 or so on a new monitor? Since my 4k monitor is only 60hz should i get rid of it and replace it with a 144 hz monitor? ... I figure i could sell it and make up some of the money to get another atleast 1440 monitor. OR ... should i just get rid of my other two monitors ... keep the 4k one and still get a 2nd 144hz 1440 monitor? ... I honestly dont know what to do here. I love having my 3 screens. Any advice would be appreciated.

If it helps. I dont buy things on credit. I have a wife and 2 kids ... so i save my "fun money" and other money i make from doing little side gigs to upgrade my stuff when i can. So whatever i upgrade now i wont be upgrading anything else for a bit as ill have to save again

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I mainly play Pubg with some Elite Dangerous and FFXIV thrown in ( all three completely different games i know) Since i have the funds for it i thought that going to a 2080 would be my best bet. I would very much like to play games at 1440 if possible (would LOVE to do Elite Dangerous at 4k since i think its a pretty gorgeous game but i digress...)
So lets be real than. Should i drop 300 or so on a new monitor? Since my 4k monitor is only 60hz should i get rid of it and replace it with a 144 hz monitor? ... I figure i could sell it and make up some of the money to get another atleast 1440 monitor. OR ... should i just get rid of my other two monitors ... keep the 4k one and still get a 2nd 144hz 1440 monitor? ... I honestly dont know what to do here. I love having my 3 screens. Any advice would be appreciated.

If it helps. I dont buy things on credit. I have a wife and 2 kids ... so i save my "fun money" and other money i make from doing little side gigs to upgrade my stuff when i can. So whatever i upgrade now i wont be upgrading anything else for a bit as ill have to save again
You have a 4k monitor aside from the 3 you already listed?
A 2080 would be a better match for it than any of the other 3.

JudeSaint

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
You have a 4k monitor aside from the 3 you already listed?
A 2080 would be a better match for it than any of the other 3.
U28E590 (2560x1440@60Hz) is the 4k monitor ... it was just at 1440 at the time. And so far it seems that most are leaning toward me not upgrading the GPU and instead going with a better monitor setup

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ok so you are disagreeing with the above and saying upgrade the GPU over upgrading my monitor to a higher refresh rate?
The others are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong on this, but they(?), as well as myself, weren't aware of the U28E590 being a 4k monitor - we(?) saw the 2560 x 1440 @ 60hz, and believed it to be a 2k monitor.
I didn't even think to check the model number at the time, I just saw the 3 resolutions and refreshes and went from there.

To answer your question, then yes. An RTX 2080 is a good pairing with a 4k monitor.

Solution

JudeSaint

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015

Ok so 4k @60 is ok and i should go for a 2080 ... But if i was say only 1440 or 1080 @60 then you would suggest 144hz monitor over upgraded gpu?