[SOLVED] Will my i7 6800K bottleneck the RTX 3080

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Just need some advice on this, do i need to upgrade my cpu and Mobo before getting the 3080?
I could only find one bench done with my cpu and the 3080 but could not make much from it.

Solution
the 3080 is not out yet, wait for further benchmarks bit later today

but it will be better than the 2080ti for sure, so in terms of bottleneck, yes it will bottleneck the 3080, because it´s already bottlnecking a 2080TI.

Didn´t find a real benchmark with your CPU but should be very equal with the 6700K for games (if overclocked):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IistubvBOT8

but it will be better than the 2080ti for sure, so in terms of bottleneck, yes it will bottleneck the 3080, because it´s already bottlnecking a 2080TI.

Didn´t find a real benchmark with your CPU but should be very equal with the 6700K for games (if overclocked):

Last edited:
Reactions: Francois_11
Solution
Do not bother about this bottleneck sort-of-hoax people have been spreading about lately, bottleneck is just how a computer works, there are bottlenecks everywhere, but it seems that cpu and or gpu bottleneck haunts people for some reason i cannot understand.

first, you have a 6/12 cpu, that alone is perfectly fine, we just currently started to (heavy quotes) fully utilize 4 cores cpu, so 6 /12 ones gives you the breathing room you need, but of course this isnt only about cores, so, yes, a 10900k will give more fps on a 3080 than a 6800k, but so what? despite having no benchmarks around, its 99% guaranteed that the gpu that will give you the most frames is indeed 3080 (not considering the pointess 3090 for now), so if you want it, go for it! understand that a cpu outputs what it outputs, and a real bottleneck case would only manifest if you are having problems running your games, with that combo? you wont have,

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017

Is the bottom bar the actual fps that is being achieved because of bottlenecking?

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
Do not bother about this bottleneck sort-of-hoax people have been spreading about lately, bottleneck is just how a computer works, there are bottlenecks everywhere, but it seems that cpu and or gpu bottleneck haunts people for some reason i cannot understand.

first, you have a 6/12 cpu, that alone is perfectly fine, we just currently started to (heavy quotes) fully utilize 4 cores cpu, so 6 /12 ones gives you the breathing room you need, but of course this isnt only about cores, so, yes, a 10900k will give more fps on a 3080 than a 6800k, but so what? despite having no benchmarks around, its 99% guaranteed that the gpu that will give you the most frames is indeed 3080 (not considering the pointess 3090 for now), so if you want it, go for it! understand that a cpu outputs what it outputs, and a real bottleneck case would only manifest if you are having problems running your games, with that combo? you wont have,
Thanks man, I have heard that people say the same but was sceptical, im thinking ill get the 3080 and test it , if need be ill upgrade the cpu and mobo.

Do not bother about this bottleneck sort-of-hoax
It´s just directly answered to the question : will this CPU bottleneck (hold back) the full power of a new GPU

It is of course not needed to upgrade to run such a system. The lowest FPS and probably frametimes will be better nonetheless, but the max. FPS won´t be maxxed out.
In some games where CPU is not that important you won´t see any difference, in others you could have gotten a cheaper GPU as well to get nearly the same performance.

Also depends on which resolution you wanna play. The bottleneck decreases more if a higher resolution is chosen like 2160p or 4k

jasonf2

Distinguished
I have to agree on the cpu bottle-necking issue. I think it is fair to say that you are going to get a few fps less than someone running the latest and greatest chip because of the CPU and in this case the PCI bus. I do 5-7 year builds and use top shelf gear when I do it. It is not too unusual that mid cycle GPU horsepower has gone up enough to validate a card update. As I have replaced those cards over the years (mid cycle) my system always bottlenecks the GPU in someway. Be it an outdated PCI bus, CPU or something. I can honestly say that even with the bottlenecks the card update, as a gamer, has always been worthwhile when I wait for the performance to at least double in the card generations. I do not upgrade my GPU every cycle. With the outrageous GPU prices today the performance increase to cost benefit just isn't there. But mid replacement cycle when my rig is no longer able to keep up with current triple A titles on frame rate or feature set a GPU upgrade (ie ray-tracing this cycle) is worthwhile. As mentioned before these cards don't exist in the wild yet. And yes there is a chance that when tested the new card is so powerful that substantial frame rate loss occurs because of the CPU. But that would not be the norm. In fact these newer cards and the APIs being developed are working for more direct hardware level access to the SSD. This should generate less CPU calls than prior generations and help with some of the natural bottlenecks intrinsically (at some level there always has to be a bottleneck).

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
It´s just directly answered to the question : will this CPU bottleneck (hold back) the full power of a new GPU

It is of course not needed to upgrade to run such a system. The lowest FPS and probably frametimes will be better nonetheless, but the max. FPS won´t be maxxed out.
In some games where CPU is not that important you won´t see any difference, in others you could have gotten a cheaper GPU as well to get nearly the same performance.

Also depends on which resolution you wanna play. The bottleneck decreases more if a higher resolution is chosen like 2160p or 4k
Great, thanks for the feedback, I will be running 1440p @ 144hz so this should be great then.

Francois_11

Reputable
Feb 9, 2017
I have to agree on the cpu bottle-necking issue. I think it is fair to say that you are going to get a few fps less than someone running the latest and greatest chip because of the CPU and in this case the PCI bus. I do 5-7 year builds and use top shelf gear when I do it. It is not too unusual that mid cycle GPU horsepower has gone up enough to validate a card update. As I have replaced those cards over the years (mid cycle) my system always bottlenecks the GPU in someway. Be it an outdated PCI bus, CPU or something. I can honestly say that even with the bottlenecks the card update, as a gamer, has always been worthwhile when I wait for the performance to at least double in the card generations. I do not upgrade my GPU every cycle. With the outrageous GPU prices today the performance increase to cost benefit just isn't there. But mid replacement cycle when my rig is no longer able to keep up with current triple A titles on frame rate or feature set a GPU upgrade (ie ray-tracing this cycle) is worthwhile. As mentioned before these cards don't exist in the wild yet. And yes there is a chance that when tested the new card is so powerful that substantial frame rate loss occurs because of the CPU. But that would not be the norm. In fact these newer cards and the APIs being developed are working for more direct hardware level access to the SSD. This should generate less CPU calls than prior generations and help with some of the natural bottlenecks intrinsically (at some level there always has to be a bottleneck).
Thanks man, appreciate the feedback, will be running the 3080 on 1440p @ 144hz so hopefully nothing too serious then.