[SOLVED] Will my i7 7700(non K) bottleneck RTX 3060 ti?

Yopuhcak

Honorable
Sep 1, 2016
Hi,

My current GPU is GTX 1060 6gb and I am planning to buy a new one. It can't handle the games I want to play at 60fps with high settings.

Is RTX 3060 ti a good upgrade or my CPU will severely bottleneck this GPU?

I am open with any GPU that will be best for my CPU right now.

P.S. still playing on my 1080p 144Hz monitor

Solution
There will probably be some bottleneck, but it shouldn't be terrible. You can always take that 3060ti and throw it into a different rig, once you upgrade your CPU, motherboard, and ram. My rule of thumb is get the best GPU, that you can afford, and that your power supply can safely handle. The faster the card, the longer it will most likely last you.
hmm well that is simple, put details to very high/ ultra and reduce resolution (720p or lower) and no antialiasing to reduce gpu load while having all eyecandy looks on...that will tell you how much fps your cpu provides
as long gpu isnt running at 100% then it waits for cpu to finish
having batter gpu will pretty much just give you better resolution/antialiasing and in case of RTX some additional ray tracing which has minimal inmpact on cpu workload...cpu wont work harder (as long you compare nvidia vs nvidia, if you switch to amd gpus...cpu usage might have some differences there...different drivers and architecture)

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
There will probably be some bottleneck, but it shouldn't be terrible. You can always take that 3060ti and throw it into a different rig, once you upgrade your CPU, motherboard, and ram. My rule of thumb is get the best GPU, that you can afford, and that your power supply can safely handle. The faster the card, the longer it will most likely last you.

Reactions: Yopuhcak
Solution

InvalidError

Titan
The answer to "Will X bottleneck Y" is always: "It depends."

It varies from game to game, scene to scene within each game, resolution, graphics details, etc. If you max absolutely everything out, I'm sure there are games where even an RTX3090 could struggle to keep up with an i5-2500.

Most games will run at 60+fps on an i7-7700 and if you are locking your frame rate at 60fps max, then the main "bottleneck" will be the fact that you capped the frame rate..

Reactions: Yopuhcak
Try this simple test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
This should be the default answer to every "will I get a bottleneck?" thread