Will my Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.1 GHz Bottleneck a SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC?

Johannbeute

Reputable
Jul 6, 2014
Hi everyone.

I am still in school, don't have a lot of money or come from a very rich family.

So please don't, suggest I upgrade my CPU, I only want to know if my current CPU will bottleneck the GPU I am wanting to purchase, Thank you.

So here goes, I only have money for a new PSU and GPU. I have the PSU covered, but I really would like to purchase a new GPU, That GPU being a SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC. But I fear my CPU might cause a bit of bottlenecking.

I am a casual gamer, mainly playing games like Battlefield 4 and don't require the absolute best performance possible. But it would be nice to get a significant performance bump from my current GPU, which is a Zotac GTX 650 2GB.

So if someone could please tell me if my Intel Core i5 2400 will bottleneck the SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC, That would be very helpful!

And lets say, if my CPU did bottleneck the SAPPHIRE DUAL-X R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC, how much of a performance loss would it be, in say, Battlefield 4 on ultra settings?

Thank you everyone in advance!