will my intel i5 3570 bottle neck MSI gtx 970 Twin Frozr V???

JuanitoMiguelito

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Hello guys,

i'm planning to buy msi gtx 970 twin frozr v because it's the only available gpu on my location, i just want to ask if my current cpu will bottleneck the performance of the said gpu.

here's my system

Asus P8Z77-v lk mobo
G.skill ripjaws 8gb
intel i5 3570 non k @3.40ghz
corsair VS650w

and also how much can i overclock the said gpu using stock coolers ? and how about my psu is it good ?

thanks in advance i'm still a noob at rig setup.

Solution
The K variant is unlocked an meant for overclocking. It also comes with a warranty for damage caused by OCing. I don't think you will even need to OC your 3570 to get the performance you're looking for though. I have my i5-3570K paired with a r9 290 and it's doing great without OCing. I bought it knowing that I could OC in the future, but haven't reached a point where I needed to.

JuanitoMiguelito

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

thanks! how about my psu, is good enough ? i've checked the list of psu tiers on some thread here, i wasn't able to locate my psu. and if i plan to overclock my gpu should i oc my cpu as well ?

Sep 10, 2013

I wouldn't overclock a non-K cpu. Definitely not if it is on a stock cooler.

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
If you haven't already purchased the CPU, drop the extra 20 bucks and get the i5-3570k version. It is excellent for overclocking, and you will find plenty of material on here and other places for OCing that CPU. I would suggest going with the 650TX instead of the VS. The VS uses cheaper components and is usually found in your mass produced computers. I'm sure it's a fine CPU, but the TX is higher quality and going to offer better efficiency.

JuanitoMiguelito

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

i'm planning on getting, the corsair obsidian 450d will that suffice ? the airflow review on that one seems pretty good.

JuanitoMiguelito

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

i already had the cpu for months now. i've saw some post here that oc'd the non k variant until 4.2ghz not sure where, will it toast my cpu ? i'm not really plannin on oc'ing maybe in the future.
i guess im going to change my psu,

JuanitoMiguelito

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

what's the difference between non k and k variant ? im going to use 212 evo should i find myself oc'ing since most of the guys here recommend that.

Sep 10, 2013

The difference is that the clock multiplier in the K version is unlocked, meaning it can be overclocked effortlessly with most motherboards, whereas some motherboards may struggle with overclocking the non-K.
Also the K versions are cherry picked and are pretty much guaranteed to overclock well, as CPU's capacity for overclocking varies between each individual one.

You will not necessarily toast your CPU, as long as you get a decent aftermarket cooler for it.

It does look like corsair was mindfull of the airflow when designing the obsidian 450d so it should be fine.
Tough again, trial and error is the way to go. try conservative overclocking first, and if you notice your temperatures are low enough move up step by step.

JuanitoMiguelito

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

fair enough . thanks for the answers really appreciate it . mayble i'll just go with the stock everything and save up for i5 4690k for future reference and start oc'ing from there.
as of now, i'll be getting me self some msi gtx 970 badboy. ::D

OriginalCadaver

Reputable
May 24, 2014
The K variant is unlocked an meant for overclocking. It also comes with a warranty for damage caused by OCing. I don't think you will even need to OC your 3570 to get the performance you're looking for though. I have my i5-3570K paired with a r9 290 and it's doing great without OCing. I bought it knowing that I could OC in the future, but haven't reached a point where I needed to.

Solution

JuanitoMiguelito

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015

that's what im thinking too, i still don't see the need to oc mine as well, as long as i'm able to play at max and don't drop to lower than 45fps then i'm good. thanks for the answers bro!