Will my laptop accept an Kingston SSD

Solution
Yes it would. The SATA interface is backwards compatible, which means that no matter which revision (version) of SATA is your drive and the port on your laptop's motherboard, they would be compatible. E.g. if the drive you're getting is SATA III and the laptop has a SATA II port, you'd still be able to use that SSD. However, you'd be able to use it with the maximum speeds of up to 300MB/s as this is the limit of SATA II. This means that if the drive is capable of speeds of up to ~450MB/s it will be capped at 300MB/s. But this is still quite an improvement and you'll still get the most out of the SSD's faster access time and it's always worth the upgrade.

From what I was able to find out about your laptop model, it seems like it's SATA...
Hey there, tungleboomps.

You'd need to specify the model of the laptop and the type of SSD in order to receive accurate information. Otherwise if the SSD you are considering to buy uses the same interface (e.g. SATA) as your current drive, then I don't think there should be any problem with that. However, it's always recommended that you contact the laptop manufacturer's customer support for more info if you are not 100% sure.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
Boogieman_WD

tungleboomps

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I have an ASUS g750jw. Someone has asked about whether it is a sata 1, 2 or 3. I don't have a clue about that nor do I know how to find it. Hopefully the model number will help you give a proper reply. I'm debating between the Kingston® 240GB V300 SSD Flash Drive or the Samsung 850EVO MZ-75E250B/AM 250GB 2.5" SATA3 Internal SSD.
I just need to know whether the ASUS will take on an ssd drive. I'm getting the impression looking about that it will. Please confirm.

yes it will be dont worry, from what i can see it is a sata based hdd and taking in consideration your cpu i m 99% sure that is sata 3. I can see further that it has dual hdd support so when you add your ssd be sure you make it the bootable device and install os(or migrate your curent os from the hdd).
So you will be fine on any ssd 2.5" with sata 3.

tungleboomps

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Is there a way I can find out on this system if it is indeed a sata 3? I think I just read somewhere that it is a sata 3, but let's suppose it's a sata 2. Would that be be ok to put an ssd drive in?

Yes it would. The SATA interface is backwards compatible, which means that no matter which revision (version) of SATA is your drive and the port on your laptop's motherboard, they would be compatible. E.g. if the drive you're getting is SATA III and the laptop has a SATA II port, you'd still be able to use that SSD. However, you'd be able to use it with the maximum speeds of up to 300MB/s as this is the limit of SATA II. This means that if the drive is capable of speeds of up to ~450MB/s it will be capped at 300MB/s. But this is still quite an improvement and you'll still get the most out of the SSD's faster access time and it's always worth the upgrade.

From what I was able to find out about your laptop model, it seems like it's SATA II, but you should check that out in the User Manual or contact the laptop manufacturer's customer support in order to find out for sure.

Cheers!

Solution
Well actually I've googled the laptop model along with specs and have found a bit controversial results - one says "Interface Serial ATA-300", which is SATA II and the other says SATA III, so it would be best if you follow the advice from my previous post (check the User Manual or call the customer support). :)