Will my memory work with my new motherboard.

Tommy_38

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hello,

1st I will give you my system that is gonna be built.

intel i7 870@293Ghz HERE
4x4 gig of corsair Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 HERE
WD 500 GB 7200 hard drive sata 6.0 ( O/S will be on this one )HERE
Seagate barracuda 500 GB 7200 Sata II HERE
Mother board ASUS P7P55D-E HERE
cpu cooler Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 HERE
case and psu Coolermaster SILENCIO Case + GX 650 HERE

I got given a acer m5910 but it just aint what I want so using the cpu from that ( listed above ) and thats why I am getting a socket 1156 board.

I was thinking of using a ssd for the O/S ( windows 7 ultimate 64 bit ) but I have heard so much about how they are still quite unstable I think I will leave that for a while and just put O/S on the sata 6.0 hard drive.

what I need to know is will the memory I got now ( listed above ) work with the motherboard I am getting?
I have looked at the asus manual for the board but it ids very hard to get to grips with and it does list memory with same latency and voltage but not the same as mine memory, if you get me?

I do know that the mobo works well with corsair memory, so I reckon I might be ok.
memory is cheap any way so if I have to I will buy new memory but I really dont want to.
I can also change the voltage in bios to 1.65 if needed. the latency I have for the memory I got is 9,9,9,24.

I have all the parts ready and I am just waiting on motherboard that is on its way.
This will be my 1st build.
I have got a PC tool kit and also a build a PC book just to help.
also downloaded and converted videos on how to work with the case and mo and build a pc.
so I reckon I can manage it.

But like said main question is will my memory work with the board I am getting, all listed above,.

sorry for repeating myself, haha.

cheers.

Tom.

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
They will work. Don't worry about voltage or memory timings. That's more advanced stuff mainly for overclockers and enthusiasts.
Also aren't you forgetting a graphics card?

About putting everything together don't worry about it. It can be scary at first but it's very easy and you can do everything simply with the board manual at hand and a screwdriver.

Tommy_38

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
awesome,
Thanks very much, your answer is very encouraging,
ye I have a HD 5770 1GB ddr5 card, it is a low profile card ( but still works as good as the performance one ), but with the low profile it is easier to crossfire as it aint as fat and air flow is better so cooling is better.

So I think I have every thing I need to build the system.
Like I said I have a tool kit, I also have a anti static band, and a book and videos for help.

So I will have a go.
I have changed hard drives/installed O/S's and also changed cards and cpu's before, just havnt changed a mobo into a new case before so thats the only part that is daunting but I will reads the instructions on mobo/case etc very carefully and take me time.

Ive just made a 150GB partition on my WD HD which is sata 6.0 for the O/S to go on when I am ready to do it and pc is built.

Also I saw on a video that I must not plug in old boot HD before installing new O/S on new hard drive as pc will boot to old drive instead, I hope thats right but wont do no harm, ill just plug it in when O/S is installed.

Thanks again.

Tom

P.S. I know I ramble on a bit, lol.

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
It is recommended that you format your HDD's when getting a new motherboard due to chipset changes and drives and all that stuff.

If you've changed everything you say you have then a motherboard replacement will be a walk in the park. Just unplug everything from old one, unscrew 4 or so screws holding it in place, take it off and put the other one in it's place.

But you seem to have taken a lot of preparations and precautions so it should be very easy

Tommy_38

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hi I have just found the corsair learn_n_explore site and yes my memory is compatible with my new mobo,
so akxpckwb you was dead right, so thankyou.

my mind is at rest.

Now I just gotta get an answer for my other question on this site, lol.

ill mention it here any way;

can i install a new copy of windows on a different drive letter/partition? Meaning I have a sata 6.0 drive which is faster than my current boot drive which the O/S is on C drive/partition.
I have made a partition on my new sata 6.0 drive of 150 GB for my new O/S to go on when system is built.
but is it ok to install onto any drive letter/partition?

I reckon I will have to change things in bios maybe??? ?

cheers again for your help.

Tom

Tommy_38

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hi,
you got an answer in b4 mine question, lol.

I am putting the drives and cpu/gpu from old PC into new case with new psu.
The new case has a usb 3 slot on top, it also has better placement for psu wires and better cooling.
I also will have a better cpu cooler in place.

But like my question above said im not sure on installing my new O/S onto my newer drive with a 150 GB formatted partition drive (M). I dont see why that wouldnt work.
as said I might have to tell my new bios that M is boot drive, yeah? ney?

I will not plug in old boot drive untill new one is set up properly and then I will format old drive so no O/S on it.

So basically windows will boot from drive M, if I am right?

cheers again.

Tom

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
I'm a bit confused with your question but I'll try to answer.
If you have more than one HDD and you install an operative system in all of them you will be given an option to select which will be used everytime you boot. If you have only installed an operative system in one of many HDD then it will (obviously)boot from the HDD with the operative system.

In the BIOS you can also select boot orders and such

Tommy_38

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hi,
right thanks for help.

to make it clear i want to install w764bit ultimate on a new hard drive with a 150 GB partition/formatted so clean. The drive letter is \m, as I have quite a few drives and partitions.

so when I build my new pc I want to install w7 onto my sata 6.0 500 GB wd drive on the partition \m. ( 150GB allowed )
my question is will I be able to install to that drive/partition \m?

I dont see why now, my boot drive will just be \m drive
the reason Im choosing this drive is because the mobo has sata 6.0 ability and so faster ( I was considering ssd for o/s but I hear they are still unstable some what )

I cant install onto z\c drive as that is currently taken up, and that drive it is on wont be used as sata 2, so installed a sata 6.0 drive on current machine and made a partition for the new O/S to go onto, it will go onto a drive letter \m, that should be ok yes?

So the sata 2 drive I have now on current pc with boot drive on \c drive will just be formatted and became a data drive.

Im not wanting dual boot.

I juts want my new system/pc ( when built ) tom, have windows installed onto drive \m which is on a sata 6.0 WD hard drive 7200.
so is this possible?

In simple terms can you install a O/S on any drive with any drive letter, I.E. \m in my case?

cheers,

Tom

Tommy_38

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
many thanks.

now I think I know every thing i needed to know to start my build as soon as my new mobo arrives.
cant wait and love to learn.

cheers again

Tom

Tommy_38

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks,

on another topic some one told me that windows/pc might change the path letter to \C any way as some programs/files have issues if not on \c, im not sure about that.
but gonna reformat whole drive ( sata 6.0 ) 1st then install w7 64 ultimate, and then partition it after it is working fine, ill leave 150 GB for O/S and apps as I do install a lot of apps as I work with maya, max, after effects, bridge/photoshop, word, excel etc etc, You get the picture, lol.

so do you think thats right
on another topic some one told me that windows/pc might change the path letter to \C any way as some programs/files have issues if not on \c,

was thinking now about hybrid hard drive but keep reading the ssd part will only give 8 GB space, which is enough for o/s but not for all my apps.
so sticking to what I have.

mobo should be here by monday.

just one more question please;
the fans on new case have 2 4 male/female connectors from them, where do they go? do they connect to psu wires or straight onto mobo? because looking at wires on psu I dont know if I have enough or what goes where HERE is my psu, scroll down to see specs and wires please.

thanks so much.

Tom

akxpckwb

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
It's better to connect fans to the PSU however you can also use the motherboard pins. There are all sorts of adapters so if you don't have enough wires you can try looking for some adapter to connect them all to one wire from PSU.

About the letter C it's just more convenient. Everything you install has the default installation directory on C but you can change it while installing any software

Tommy_38

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
Hi and thanks,

well I have 4 peripheral connectors,
so gonna use 3 for fans and one for the quick HD slot that seems to need one.
I also have 6 sata connectors which I will use along with the sata cables of current pc

cheers,

ill manage it.

I have videos and books and friends to help.

regards and cheers.

Tom
X