[SOLVED] Will my motherboard Asus rampage 2 extreme support 6tb hard drive or 8tb hard drive?

Mar 18, 2020
Hi All

I am planning to buy a new hard disk. Will my motherboard Asus Rampage 2 extreme support 6tb or 8tb SATA 2 or SATA 3 hard disk?

Last edited:
Solution
Your max transfer speed will cap off at around 300MB/s with SATA II. The average HDD read/write speed is around 80 - 160MB/s, so if you're committed to a HDD instead of a SSD, you wont really be losing any noticeable performance at all.

What's your max budget? For that much storage space, you're looking at around $175 minimum for 6TB, and $190 minimum for 8TB.

Your best resource for narrowing down a drive is PCPartPicker. I've narrowed down a list here. This includes 5-star rated and unrated drives (only reviews from PCPP are shown, each listing has links to retailers that host their own reviews. Be sure to check there if a drive you're looking at doesn't have any PCPP reviews). I've also set it to 7200RPM, which is...
Your motherboard has six SATA 3 Gb/s (SATA II) ports. SATA II and III (6Gb/s) are cross compatible, however if you install a 6Gb/s drive, it will only reach 3Gb/s speeds. Otherwise, it will work fine. There is no limit on the amount of storage space a motherboard can support, that's entirely up to the storage drive.

Your max transfer speed will cap off at around 300MB/s with SATA II. The average HDD read/write speed is around 80 - 160MB/s, so if you're committed to a HDD instead of a SSD, you wont really be losing any noticeable performance at all.

What's your max budget? For that much storage space, you're looking at around $175 minimum for 6TB, and $190 minimum for 8TB.

Your best resource for narrowing down a drive is PCPartPicker. I've narrowed down a list here. This includes 5-star rated and unrated drives (only reviews from PCPP are shown, each listing has links to retailers that host their own reviews. Be sure to check there if a drive you're looking at doesn't have any PCPP reviews). I've also set it to 7200RPM, which is the highest speed drives of those size can get, and a 256 MB cache.

The best way to narrow down your choices further is to set a maximum price, and a minimum/maximum storage capacity.

Reactions: f1praveen
Solution
Mar 18, 2020
Thank you again for the clarification. So I can buy 8tb hard disk. Can my motherboard support NAS hard drive like Seagate iron wolf or WD red hard drive?

Yes, no special requirements are needed to run a NAS drive. The main difference is that they're designed to run consistently for large periods of time, so they're much more robust than average consumer drives. I've heard they're also louder than normal drives though, so keep that in mind if noise levels are important to you.