Will my motherboard support my graphics card? NEED ANSWERS FAST!

Hybrid7x

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
It's my birthday soon and I plan on getting a MSI Radeon R9 270X. I know my 430w power supply is to weak for the card so I will get a 500w one, but the question is will my AsusTeK P8H61-M LX2 support the card? If you know or you can find out, please help me! Also, I have 6gb ram memory, and I found out that in extreme cases my games start to lagg, so will it run better if I have 8gb ram?

Solution
Oh yeah that will work perfectly fine. By the way while the upgrade to the psu is certainly a good idea you could run the gpu in your system with the old one in as well (most likely). Make sure you get a name brand 80+ psu as we'll check out corsair or seasonic
Oh yeah that will work perfectly fine. By the way while the upgrade to the psu is certainly a good idea you could run the gpu in your system with the old one in as well (most likely). Make sure you get a name brand 80+ psu as we'll check out corsair or seasonic

Solution

mriehm

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2010
I agree with the above poster about the motherboard and PSU (they'll work fine). I'll just complete the answer by answering your question about RAM.

I really doubt that the lag you are experiencing is caused by your limited amount of RAM. I say this because pretty much every game (with the exception of BF4, I believe) is 32-bit, and 32-bit programs can only access 4GB of RAM. So, unless Windows and your other background programs are taking up more than 2GB of RAM (you can easily check by opening Task Manager when you are at the desktop), there is no possible way that any performance issues can be improved by more RAM.

However, starting this year, 64-bit games will start appearing, so upgrading RAM could be an effective future-proofing option if you plan on keeping this computer around for a while.

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006

1. 430w PSU is fine as long as it is a modern PSU. Ensure there is around 18-20A on the 12v rail to be safe.
2. MB can handle the card, that isn't an issue.
3. The difference between 6GB of RAM and 8GB will be minimal. Run some games windowed with Task Manager in the background and watch how much RAM they use. It is usually less than 2GB.

Oh forgot about the current performance lag part. I wouldn't worry about it, your adding a better gpu, that will most likely sort you out. The ram is not the issue. What is your current setup though cause the problem could also be the gpu although in most cases the gpu makes the bigger impact.