[SOLVED] Will my MSI B350M Bazooka Motherboard support ALL the Ryzen 3000 chips? If not, which ones will it support?

j.bernard2002

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
The thing is, I already know that its going to support the Ryzen 3000 series but I don't know exactly which ones. I will really appreciate the replies. Thanks in advance.

Solution
The thing is, I already know that its going to support the Ryzen 3000 series but I don't know exactly which ones. I will really appreciate the replies. Thanks in advance.

Once updated to the right BIOS I think it safe to say you could put ANY Ry3K chip on it. But whether it will work well with a 12 or 16 core is doubtful. The 8 core probably, but as with Ry2k 8 core chips, not very well if overclocking.

The reason is the VRM isn't very robust; it will heat up and throttle. Hopefully throttle, at least, as the alternative is kinda uncool. Literally.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Since MSI hasn't updated it's CPU Support List to include the 3rd generation processors (Beta BIOS says they're supported), there's no way of knowing if any of the third gen processors are NOT supported. I would suspect that they are all supported.

Beta BIOS States:

2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
  • Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3
  • Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
  • Change BIOS UI to GSE-Lite mode.

-Wolf sends

Once updated to the right BIOS I think it safe to say you could put ANY Ry3K chip on it. But whether it will work well with a 12 or 16 core is doubtful. The 8 core probably, but as with Ry2k 8 core chips, not very well if overclocking.

The reason is the VRM isn't very robust; it will heat up and throttle. Hopefully throttle, at least, as the alternative is kinda uncool. Literally.

Solution

if it gets a BIOS version for them.

there has been rumours all year of manufacturers may not update some of there cheaper B350 motherboards to support ryzen 3. one article i seen was mentioning something about the memory limits on the BIOS ROM chips

this is not something you should be an early adopter of if you are only planning a CPU upgrade

Yeah! I liked that... it works but. I wish he'd at least have done a 'touch test' on the VRM heatsink during Aida64 stress testing. His observation (however unscientific) would have been useful.

I also wonder if he updated chipset drivers or if he spent anytime in BIOS. As he noted, he installed into an existing Windows.

Why doesn't PB2 work? I thought it does on B350...and is there no PBO toggle in the BIOS? Inquiring minds... at least he shows it does work.

That whole memory training and re-boot cycle is pretty common for first start up with a new processor and he didn't indicate if he'd cleared CMOS after booting with the Ry1K processor.

I'm looking forward to when he puts it on the A320 board...

j.bernard2002

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
I 've just looked at MSI 450 Mortar not only that i has BIOS that clearly states compatibility with 3000 series but also can flash BIOS without CPU.
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450M-MORTAR

AMI BIOS

Version
7B89v17

Release Date
2019-06-24

File Size
10.11 MB

Description

- Support Ryzen 3000 series CPU.
Ryzen 9 3900X/Ryzen 7 3800X/Ryzen 7 3700X/Ryzen 5 3600X/Ryzen 5 3600/Ryzen 5 3400G/Ryzen 3 3200G
Nice, I guess just patience is all it takes to find out which supports what.