willie_lump

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Hello community. I have a msi 760gm-E51 MB
16gb ram
1TB Hdd
Amd 6770 Graphics card
Amd Phenom II X4 3.5 Cpu.
I had a cheap logisy 480 psu that recently cut out while gaming. I did the paperclip test, and it's definately DOA. I usually didn't use my computer for gaming but obviously now that I started gaming on it my psu fried after my first 2 hours of my 1st gaming session. I was going to try a corsair cx series 600 watt 80 plus bronze for my power needs. will this psu work ok for my gaming needs?

Solution
Yes; most likely. Corsair's CX line is very low-end; however, your build is also low-end and is not very intensive. So yes, it should work fine. :)

willie_lump

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
thank you for the quick replies but that sucks. I don't know a whole lot about psu but i thought that bronze plus psu were decent quality. I have already purchased it blackbird. haha. I thought i was doing pretty good by buying this one but I guess I was wrong. so the corsair is very low end B strong? for future reference or in case this psu doesn't pan out, what do I need to look for in a psu besides the 80 plus ratings or higher?

80+ certification measures the EFFICIENCY at which the PSU converts AC (Alternating Current) to DC (Direct Current). It does NOT measure the PSU's build quality and it does not measure the PSU's performance. So it is possible (and there are a lot of PSUs in this category) that have 80+ Gold certification but the PSU itself is crap.

Here is a link that shows you the energy conversion efficiency at certain load percentages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus#Efficiency_level_certifications

If you are still confused, here's an example. If your system requires 500W. The PSU needs to supply 500W to your components. But that does not mean that the PSU will only need to pull 500W from the wall because about 10 - 20% of it is lost during conversion from AC to DC. So it has to pull more from the wall in order to actually provide 500W of power to your system. This does help save electric bills but again, it does not measure the power supply's performance level. The only way to know a power supply's performance is with actual testing.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much as long as the PSU has an 80+ Bronze or higher. You also do not save much in electric bills between Bronze and Gold. Only about a few dollars a month and that is if you left your computer at 50% load for the entire month (24/7).

willie_lump

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
I do understand the power conversion B strong. When i ran a psu power test for it, my pc was only said to be using 430 max power, which was why i went with a 600 watt power supply. I just don't have the money to drop a couple hunded on a power supply. I did alot of reading and the reviews for the corsair were really good by consumers and that was why I bought one today. haha. trust me, I did a little research before making my purchase but I'm a amateur when it comes to whats the most bang for the buck in the price range. As Blackbird was saying, the capacitors in the corsair are garbage and you say that the psu is very low end but people this particular psu had alot of purchases and alot of great reviews by consumers who had used it for gaming. Every website gave it a 4-4-1/2 star rating by alot of customers. Energy efficiency is important but a decent psu matters more to me than saving $50 bucks a year on a power bill. I just didn't have alot of money to spend and the corsair had the best reviews over the rest in that price range. I went back and forth between evga, corsair, coolermax and a couple others. It was really giving me a headache trying to figure out which was better. I should have asked before i bought I guess bc cheap capacitors and inner components make a huge difference and it does matter to me if I am sticking garbage in my computer. My pc is a few years old but I don't upgrade my pc every 6 months like i use to because it seems pointless to me these days but when i built my pc originally it wasn't very low end at the time. pc building is a fun hobby. I am just a little rusty at it because i've been out of the game for a while and I don't keep up with it like I use to. I've been building and tweeking computers since windows 95 hit the scene.

It's a good PSU but it's not meant for high performance systems. The CX line is very good and reliable but it is not optimized for high performance builds like gaming. Your build is not high-performance so the PSU will be fine for you. But under heavy load, the CX PSU will not perform as efficient as it should.

Corsair is a great brand, but know that Corsair does NOT manufacture their own power supplies. They outsource other companies to build them. Some of their PSUs, especially the high end HX and AX series are built by Seasonic and are really good because Seasonic is arguably the most reputable and most reliable PSU OEM in today's market. XFX is also a good PSU brand because Seasonic makes all of their PSUs. So not all PSUs in Corsair's line is great. Some are not as good. Some are really good for low-end builds, but not great for high-performance builds.

Most of EVGAs PSUs are kind of crappy, but their new line, the EVGA Supernova G2 series, is arguably one of the top brands on the market today. Super Flower, the PSU OEM for the EVGA Supernova G2 series, did a great job on those.

So again, when deciding on a PSU, it really helps to read reviews for them. jonnyguru.com and hardwaresecrets.com are a few good places to find them. Each PSU is rated differently. Just because a company is notable for a few bad PSUs, it doesn't mean that they won't have a good quality one. Customer reviews are NOT credible. Do not base a PSU's performance based on customer reviews. Most customers have no idea what makes a PSU good or bad. They only speak about whether or not it works and for how long. That doesn't mean anything. Even the best PSU can fail and to the customer, that's a thumbs down. What they don't understand is that PSUs can die and this isn't necessarily the worst possible scenario. A worse case is the PSU dying and ALSO destroying other components in your build. This happens a lot with crappy PSUs. Since the PSU is connected to every component and powers every component, it is serious business. I rather spend more money on a quality PSU knowing that if it dies, my other components are not likely to die with it because it has better build material and have many layers of protection. That said, most top PSUs do not die often and do have very long warranty.

P.S.: my nick is ksham. "B strong" is my avatar. Just wanted to clarify that.

willie_lump

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
sorry about the name ksham. you're absolutley right about most people not knowing what a qulity pc is. Most people look at the processor size, hdd size and how many gb's of ram are in the unit. This is what retailers prey on, but if a psu or any other component is getting garbage reviews across the boards then it's a big red flag to stay away. I do appreciate the education that I am getting from you about modern day components as well. I am trying to learn more about todays components. Seasonic definately seems to be the way to go from what I've seen but very expensive for me these days. You are right about good electronics failing at times because that just comes with electronics in general and alot of brands make a low end and a high end to cash in on the market for all budgets.

No disrespect, but what is considered to be a high end setup these days. I mean most standard pc are built with 2.5 -3.0gb processors and 4 gigs of ram. 8 gigs is a little more than most cpu's are built with these days. 32gb is pretty boss with a 4.5 gig processor with a high end MB and graphics card but in the eyes of the computer world, what is considered to be a high end system these days? I am a amd man myself and have been my whole life. I think that intel is very over rated and priced. dollar for dollar Amd will always prevail to me, especially if your updating every 6 months

A high end build? Probably an i7-4790K processor, 8GB (2x4GB in dual channel), GTX 780 or R9 290 graphics card, a 120 - 240GB SSD. That's about it. You can have a very high end computer for about $1200 USD. Depending on where you live, your mileage may vary.

Currently, AMD is a bit absent in the CPU market. Their latest FX-series is pretty much end-of-line. And I have no idea what their plans are for CPUs. Their GPUs are still very strong. The thing is, Intel is over priced a little but they are like Apple. Their products perform very well, but it comes with a premium. And not all motherboards support SLI. Whereas AMD is like Microsoft. They perform well and are very compatible, but their finish product is not as polished as nvidia's. Also, AMD CPUs and GPUs use more power than nvidia's.

willie_lump

Reputable
Jun 21, 2014
Well thank you ksham for your help and the education. I really do appreciate it. Blackbird, I appreciate your input as well.I will keep seasonic components in mind from here on out. I'm glad to have stopped in this forums page, You guys have been a huge help with things. THANK YOU!!

XFX, Corsair (HX / AX) are also good alternatives. Neither XFX nor Corsair make their own PSUs. XFX outsources Seasonic to make all of their PSUs. Corsair's HX and AX models are also made by Seasonic.

Other good models out there right now are: Antec, OCZ, PC Power & Cooling, be quiet!, Corsair V series, EVGA Supernova G2 series.