Question Will my old motherboard have any trouble running a newer Ryzen 5 CPU?

Need Help 4 HDD

Honorable
Jul 31, 2015
I have a older Gigabyte 970A-D3P motherboard that is running a weak CPU & it's getting to the point where I can't even view youtube pages without massive stuttering.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-D3P-rev-10#ov

I want to upgrade to the latest AMD Ryzen models.
I hear the AMD Ryzen-5 3600 competes with Intel & is only $200 & comes with a fan.

Would that be compatible with my older mobo or would it be a bottleneck or even not work at all?

Need Help 4 HDD

Honorable
Jul 31, 2015
Here are all the models of CPUs you can run with your MB.
http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Gigabyte/GA-970A-D3P(rev._1.0).html
Almost all of them use the same BIOS....so if you switch.....good chance you can leave the BIOS alone.
....but it won't run the 3600.

:( hmm looks like my options aren't too great for a current CPU.

Anything on that list stand out from the rest?

Looks like the most powerful CPUs are either the

AMD FX-Series with the
FX-4350, 4.2 GHz, HT 5200 MHz, L2 4x1 MB, L3 8 MB, TDP 125 Watt
or
FX-4170, 4.2 GHz, HT 5200 MHz, L2 4x1 MB, L3 8 MB, TDP 125 Watt

or
the AMD Phenom II X4 980, 3.7 GHz, HT 4000 MHz, L2 4x512 KB, L3 6 MB, TDP 125 Watt

Any recommendation?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My suggestion:

Whatever money you were planning on spending on getting a better CPU for this board is best saved to put toward a completely new platform. Motherboard, CPU, and DDR4 RAM.

Anything you spend on a CPU for the AM3+ socket is going to be too much money for too little gain.

What are the full specs of your system? Please include monitor resolution and refresh rate (and if it has either FreeSync, GSync, or neither), what exact power supply you have (brand and model), and then all the specs (current CPU, current RAM, current graphics card). Also, whether you have an OEM or a retail version/license of Windows (ie: if it's transferable to a new machine or not).

Then let us know your intended use, your budget, and location.

There are a number of people here who can put together a decent parts list for a modern system within a reasonable budget.

Need Help 4 HDD

Honorable
Jul 31, 2015
I'm planning on building a gaming PC later in the year.
I was hoping for the prices of the i9 & 2080 Ti to go down in prices or the new i10 or Ryzen to come out this year to see if they drive the prices of the older CPUs down.

Right now I just need a home PC to browse & my CPU is barely able to load pages & 1080p video stutters constantly.

I checked eBay & the AMD FX-series & Phenom II series & they both sell for $50-$100. Those seem to be decent prices, at least temporarily until I build my gaming rig in the future.

:( hmm looks like my options aren't too great for a current CPU.

Anything on that list stand out from the rest?

Looks like the most powerful CPUs are either the

AMD FX-Series with the
FX-4350, 4.2 GHz, HT 5200 MHz, L2 4x1 MB, L3 8 MB, TDP 125 Watt
or
FX-4170, 4.2 GHz, HT 5200 MHz, L2 4x1 MB, L3 8 MB, TDP 125 Watt

or
the AMD Phenom II X4 980, 3.7 GHz, HT 4000 MHz, L2 4x512 KB, L3 6 MB, TDP 125 Watt

Any recommendation?
What do you have now?
You got it totally wrong with those CPU's which are on the weaker end of what the board supports. FX6xxx and 8xxx are the stronger ones. (not all about MHz)

Reactions: Need Help 4 HDD

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have a Radeon HD 7900 & a crappy Sempron 145 cpu that came with the PC.

Hmm, if you can get an FX for ridiculously cheap, it might be worth it. But, even at $50, I question whether or not you should go the FX route.

But, if you can manage to live with the system as-is for a while, and then gather together about $400-$500 to get a full blown Ryzen system (maybe a little more, as you'll probably need a new power supply and probably a Windows 10 license unless yours is retail/transferable), you'd be far better off.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
if your only gonna use it as office pc and maybe for light games get a used amd fx 6100 for 30 s then you don't got to put much money into it.