Will my OS on an old HDD boot on a new computer?

Zach Manos

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
I've gone through a big gambit trying to get a new graphics card.

Finally everything is in place, but yet again I forgot something.

I have a WD Blue that I assumed would boot the same Win7 OS I had on my previous acer.

Is this the case, or am I likely wiping the drive, and buying a new OS?

Solution
Depends on what all you changed from your old system to your new system. If you moved your old motherboard, cpu, and hard drive from the old Acer to a new system, then you'll be fine. If you moved just the hard drive with the OS installed, then you'll need to wipe it and install fresh. If your Windows 7 OS came with the Acer, then it's an OEM version and you will need to purchase a new license.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Depends on what all you changed from your old system to your new system. If you moved your old motherboard, cpu, and hard drive from the old Acer to a new system, then you'll be fine. If you moved just the hard drive with the OS installed, then you'll need to wipe it and install fresh. If your Windows 7 OS came with the Acer, then it's an OEM version and you will need to purchase a new license.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Zach Manos

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

Previous CPU, new mobo. OEM acer version...*sigh*...I've bought a new computer at this point.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yup. New Motherboard = New Windows License.

-Wolf sends

Edit: I would note that you can *TRY* a fresh install of Windows using your old Windows license from Acer. The worst that will happen is when you try to activate it, Microsoft will say, "No".

Zach Manos

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

If the latter occurs, will my HDD also ask for a wipe?

If it does not, do you know how a new license will work?

For instance, I want to think one of the following best case scenarios will happen:

- HDD is fine, Windows just updates with a new license, and my mobo installs new drivers.

- Windows installs a new version, leaving the old one to take up space in my HDD. mobo drivers again.

- Windows uninstalls the previous version, installs new version. mobo drivers.

On the other hand I want to think my mobo won't understand my HDD at all with its previous mobos drivers.

At this point I'm fretting over this

Wolfshadw

Titan
You will need to do a wipe regardless. The old OS install is still searching for the old hardware. Since it's not there, it will fail to boot properly (if at all). It's more than just drivers. It's also the system registry which needs to be cleansed. While you probably could go though and make sure all the old drivers are gone and then sweep the registry using a registry cleaner, it's easier and more thorough to simply wipe the drive and start fresh.

-Wolf sends

It will cost you nothing to try to boot using your old windows hard drive.
If the motherboard chipsets are similar, (Z87/Z97) for example, you are likely to succeed.
Then it is only a matter of installing the new chipset drivers.

The second issues is windows licensing.
Since your os was oem, windows will invite you to reactivate via telephone.
MS is surprising lenient and will usually reactivate so long as they know that you are not a pirate and that this copy is used nowhere else.

If all else fails, then you are looking at a clean windows install.
This would be an opportune time to change to a SSD.
All your files will still be available on your old hard drive. Apps will need to be reinstalled.

Zach Manos

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

What if, for reasons, i can't look up my Windows 7 Key because I can't access the previous PC?