Will My Overclocking Plan Work?

SquishyCheetah

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
If I had the Noctua NH‑D15 air cooler and the Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower case, would I be able to overclock the i5 6600k to 4.5ghz (voltage will be anywhere between 1.23-1.29 depending on the stability) with good, stable thermals? Or would I need to add better and/or more fans to the case? Or would I need to get even a better CPU cooler?

Planned Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/FqCY9W

Thank you in advance for the help! :)

Solution
I would say you could reach 4.4 at least. you could try for a potential 5ghz once you reach your goal, but that might be pushing it. as for system cooling, I honestly would fill as many fan hedders as I can, and if one of the side panels has a space to install a fan, then use the top 2 fans as intakes, and then use the side panel fan as an outtake fan.

scuzzycard

Honorable
4.5 should be attainable, although the voltage might have to be higher if the CPU you end up with is not a good overclocker. The cooler you picked is excellent, and so is the case, but you should always plan on having case fans (at least 2 intake and 1 exhaust) not only to keep your CPU cool, but all your other components as well.

SquishyCheetah

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Will the stock fans that come with the case be enough to keep the thermals good and stable?

Cole_9

Commendable
Jun 4, 2016
I would say you could reach 4.4 at least. you could try for a potential 5ghz once you reach your goal, but that might be pushing it. as for system cooling, I honestly would fill as many fan hedders as I can, and if one of the side panels has a space to install a fan, then use the top 2 fans as intakes, and then use the side panel fan as an outtake fan.

Solution