will my partions be erased

Sep 23, 2018
My laptop(On windows 10) did not boot up after an update(got stuck at loading screen).automatic repair doesn't work too it says pnp watchdogs error something on the blue death screen.so i want to reinstall windows using my usb.i have one hard disk with 3 partions so if i reinstall windows will my other partitions be erased too and will my drivers be rest to factory version?thanks for your help! and sorry for bad grammar

Solution
Above answer may or may not be right. It depends on your laptop and what was on it originally

If it was an upgrade from win 7 to win 10, its possible the clean install will require you to wipe all partitions before it will allow you to install.
If win 10 was the only install on drive, you might be able to just delete C drive and reinstall without losing other partitions

What is on the other partitions? Anything you want to save?

Boot off installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, click file>open and it will open Explorer
Use explorer to copy anything you don't want to lose.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Above answer may or may not be right. It depends on your laptop and what was on it originally

If it was an upgrade from win 7 to win 10, its possible the clean install will require you to wipe all partitions before it will allow you to install.
If win 10 was the only install on drive, you might be able to just delete C drive and reinstall without losing other partitions

What is on the other partitions? Anything you want to save?

Boot off installer
on screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install.
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
type notepad and press enter
in notepad, click file>open and it will open Explorer
Use explorer to copy anything you don't want to lose.

Solution
Also, with some laptop models, Factory Recovery recreates the original factory-default partitions (all of them). My Toshiba Satellite does that.

So keeping backups of all your data on a pair of portable HDDs is the sensible thing to do whatever may or may not happen.

As for drivers, Factory Recovery restores the factory-default versions, that's why it's called Factory Recovery - - :/

TRENDING THREADS