Will my parts fit?

epicme123

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BTk8nn
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00I6BJATW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The second link is my case, now I'm mainly worried that my parts compatible with each other? What do you think? And if you have time can you please suggest a better GPU that will work better and fit into my case? Thanks!

Solution
No, that CPU cooler is too tall. That case only supports CPU coolers up to 150mm tall. The 212 evo is 159mm tall. Actually more like 160mm.

Besides, that 212 EVO will struggle to keep that 8700k cool, ESPECIALLY if you decide to overclock.

It will accomodate GPU cards up to 414mm, so pretty much all of them.
No, that CPU cooler is too tall. That case only supports CPU coolers up to 150mm tall. The 212 evo is 159mm tall. Actually more like 160mm.

Besides, that 212 EVO will struggle to keep that 8700k cool, ESPECIALLY if you decide to overclock.

It will accomodate GPU cards up to 414mm, so pretty much all of them.

Solution

epicme123

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
Thanks for the feedback people! I was actually just about to say that I'm not toooo worried about the CPU cooler and I am willing to leave the side panel open. Is anything els an issue? I'm fairly new to this.

epicme123

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

I'm not going to overclock anything. I heard that this cooler is good and works very well. What cooler would you suggest? and is there anything els I need to replace for the build?

That cooler is not going to be sufficient for that CPU. People with MUCH better full size coolers have had thermal issues with the 8700k. A minimum 140w TDP cooler is recommended. Not strictly due to the CPU, but also because the Z370 boards have mostly all shown issues with VRM overheating. The 212 EVO is a low end budget cooler, meant for light overclocking or as a replacement for the stock cooler on medium-ish TDP processors.

Your CPU will probably produce up to 140w TDP under full load at stock settings.

If the cooler DOES manage to keep up, it's going to be running LOUD at full speed anytime you do anything demanding or for extended periods of time. You are much better off going with a higher end cooler. Trust me, I've practically written the book on that cooler. Well, maybe not book, but you know what I mean.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2520482/solving-temperature-issues-hyper-212-evo.html

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
LOL I run my system without a side panel 'cause of the tall 212.

the SSD is on the small side. you can get an M.2 SSD and remove a few cables from being run.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($489.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI - Z370 GAMING PLUS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($162.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Kingston - FURY 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($192.75 @ Vuugo)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DUKE OC Video Card ($659.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1755.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-17 02:48 EST-0500

my edits add about 25dollars, mostly paid for by the smaller PSU.

epicme123

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

I thank you again for giving me wise feedback! I'll upgrade the cooler but could you link me a cooler from you're opinion that can do the job great? & is it JUST the cooler thats the issue or is there anything els wrong in the build that I should change?

epicme123

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

Thanks for the feedback! Will look into it :)

Personally, due to my own experiences with them AND the cumulative experience of a handful of other systems builders I know, I'd probably avoid the MSI motherboards altogether. Too many failures requiring an RMA. They are good about replacing faulty boards, but the fact remains they seem to have a higher rate of faulty boards than ASUS, Gigabyte and ASRock.

And that means having to remove and reinstall a board a second time, which sucks. I'd rather not have to do that whether it got replaced for free or not. Certainly not every MSI board is going to have issues, but the numbers seem higher than other brands.

I think the Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, while not incredibly better, is at least, better, with slightly larger VRM heatsinks. VRM overheating seems to be emerging as a common problem on the Z370 chipset with the 8700k and it's 6/12 core count.