Will my PC Be safe on carpet?

Jun 30, 2018
(Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I’m new) So my 500w Stock PSU just died. Maybe one of the reason is because my pc sits on carpet, (I’m upgrading to an EVGA 600w tomorrow) I’ve put a cardboard box underneath it giving it a little bit of height from the ground. I’ll also be putting a slice of cardboard on the floor so it’s not near carpet. Will this work/ be safe for my new Power supply

PC cases with with power supplies on the bottom usually draw air from the bottom to cool the power supply. Carpet will tend to block the cool air from the bottom.

As above, you can place the power supply on the carpet with some hard flat surface (like a board or metal, or even stiff plastic).

Some PC cases do have longer feet on the bottom for this purpose too.

It's a bad idea to put a system on carpet if the PSU is downfacing, especially if the case feet are low and there's little clearance, not only does this restrict the airflow but the PSU will also hoover up any passing dust or fibres, rapidly choking the internals and heatsinks.
If at all possible, place the system higher up, on a desk or chair, if that's not possible, do as Zerk2012 suggests and place it on a piece of wood, preferably cut to be a little larger than the case footprint a piece of shelving/worktop cut so the raw edges don't show can actually look quite neat.
Some cases will accept a bottom mounted PSU either way up BTW, inverting it will resolve these issues, just be sure the case has enough front intake fans to feed the system with enough cool air, though.

MA2K

Commendable
Sep 8, 2016
if you absolutely must put it on the carpet and theres no alternative, just put somehtying under the case like a flat peice of wood or something thats not flexible.