Will my PC run a Geforce GTX 1080

jockeliden0123

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Hey lads, I know this has been asked a few thousand times. I as many others am thinking of getting myself a GTX 1080, or basically just upgrade my PC. My main question is which parts of my current setup are compatible with the GPU and which parts I need to upgrade.

So far I'm running:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 3.40GHz (8 CPUs) ~ 3.4GHz
Motherboard: MSI MS-7817
PSU: 500W (This one I definitely need to upgrade, to what though? Any suggestions?)
Ram: 8 Ram, (I'll double that up to 16)
GPU: Geforce 670

Is there anything else I need to take in account when buying that GPU? I've heard the size of it should be respected but I reckon I have a fairly large case. I know the 1080 might be a bit overkill, I'm just that type of person who prefers to pay all at once and be good for a while.

Hope you can apologize me being joining the newbie squad with this type of question, I just want to make sure I won't do any mistake before spending that amount of money.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
A good quality 500w from Seasonic/Superflower/Corsair/XFX/EVGA will do fine.

Not worth upgrading your CPU, its fine, still top tier.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

yeah going to need to upgrade the power supply, especially if its old as they deteriorate with age

if you have the non k version of the 4770, then it will bottleneck the 1080
so be aware that in some situations ( cpu bound ) you will not be getting the full possible fps the 1080 is capable of

jockeliden0123

Prominent
Sep 10, 2017
Hey, and thanks for the quick reply. I tried to research a bit and understand the difference between K and non K. Now while I'm a bit brighter on the topic I'm still clueless whether which of them I have, is there anyway I can check?

Either way, could I then buy myself a GTX 1080, upgrade my psu, and add some RAM and later upgrade my CPU? Just to divide it into two salaries. ^^

Would you recommend me specific PSU, or is there just a minimum wattage the GPU requires? Just to double check, my motherboard should be compatible with the new GPU then?