Will my PC Run this Card (6670)

Roostapro

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hi.

Ok, so i have been "Stalking" These forums for answers etc.

I got some answers, but not all the answers I wanted.

basically, i want to Upgrade my Graphics card to this one Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card (1GB, PCI-Express, GDDR5, Dust-proof Fan)

However, my PC is....well, rubbish, it was a Pre-built PC I bought 6-7 Years ago (Will list specs) but lately I have been wanting to upgrade my Graphics card this year, then my Mobo late next year with cpu/psu etc.

I don't want to go out buying a whole new computer as I have a tight budget.

Current Specs:

CPU = DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2100 MHz (10.5 x 200) 4000+
Motherboard = GeForce6100SM-M2 (V1.0A)
Graphics Card = Integrated Nvidia GeForce6100 Nforce405
Ram = 2Gig Kingston DDR2 Ram (Might be DDR3, can't remember)
Bios = BIOS for GeForce6100SM-M2 (PCB:1.x) [08/05/26 (2008/06/13 released) ]
Bios Type = Award
Award Bios Type = Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS v6.00PG
OS = Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 3 (Might upgrade to Win7 or 8)
PCIe x16 Ver = 1.x (1.0a)
PSU = 350W

If you need any more info on my pc, feel free to ask.

I am mainly wanting to upgrade my graphics card right now (Urgently) as my current one is very old, and I am playing Guild Wars 2 with it @ 4fps (Max 6fps) So yeah, i can't bear it anymore especially in dungeons at level 80 and people are asking "Why the F are you not doing anything"...

My reply "shameful FPS" (Kicked from party)

I don't really know much about graphics cards as i never had to bother about them until now.

My reason on choosing this Graphics card as it is well in budget, very good reviews on it and is mostly recommended for low-end PCs like my one.

now my questions (Sorry for the massive load of questions, I just want to make sure I am making the right choice, I don't exactly have money to throw everywhere sadly, Also I know alot about PCs, but wow, looking at graphics cards just blew my mind)

Q - Will this graphics card work on this Mobo & with it's PCIe 1.x?

Q - It won't bottleneck my CPU?

Q - Is there any updates for my Bios? (TBH, i honestly don't know where to look)

Q - The width of the gfx card won't bother anything else on the mobo?

Q - I am aware that my mobo is awful, but i won't be upgrading that until Late next year, will this card cause any problems?

Q - If the gfx card doesn't work on the current Mobo, what would you suggest?

I think that's all the questions I have for now ( Can't really think anymore, been researching the card for almost 1 week, and can't seem to find a definite answer, just no & maybe answers) but if you have anything to add, please do, i could use all the information you guys have.

Again, if you need anymore Specs on my current PC please ask (Using [Lavalys] EVEREST Ultimate Edition to check specs)

Thank you for your answers and i Apologize in Advance on the amount of questions i have :)

crownedclown

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012

Spaniard United

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I just don't even .... ok

Here's the deal. You need a new PC. I know I know, you already said that and the budget is tight. So here is my suggestion.

Buy your pieces. Pick your graphics card (consider aiming a little higher, for another 0-30 bucks you get a lot more graphics card, but up to you), pick your mobo, pick your cpu. Pick it out and buy it one piece at a time. Once you've got all the pieces you need, build your PC.

Short of that ... there's just not much you can do.

-You have 2 gigs of RAM ... very low ... and it's a very safe bet it's DDR2
-Your CPU is ... well weak. It's a dual core ... but it's an Athlon
-Your mobo's PCIE slot is version 1 and runs at x8 instead of x16
-I could probably go on.

Now that I've said all of that, understand that I'm not belittling or jeering at your setup. I'm simply pointing out that your system and its individual pieces are pretty weak and while I can't say how well the graphics card would perform if you added it to your current setup, there are so many other problems that it may not matter.

Q - Will this graphics card work on this Mobo & with it's PCIe 1.x? - Technically, yes

Q - It won't bottleneck my CPU? - If anything there are better odds of it being the other way around.

Q - Is there any updates for my Bios? - http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Downloads/Downloads_Driver_Detail.aspx?detailid=820&MenuID=0&LanID=9

Q - The width of the gfx card won't bother anything else on the mobo? - the SATA ports possibly

Q - I am aware that my mobo is awful, but i won't be upgrading that until Late next year, will this card cause any problems? Shouldn't cause problems with the mobo ... but you're pushing it with your PSU. Shouldn't work but a lot of people say it does, So you might get lucky.

Q - If the gfx card doesn't work on the current Mobo, what would you suggest? - My above suggestion ... wait.

TRENDING THREADS