[SOLVED] will my PC support Asus tuf-rtx 3080?

captainroma

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
Hey everyone, can someone please help me to see if my PC can support installation of Asus 3080 and can handle this beast?

MB: Gigabyte H170-D3H
CPU: i7 6700 3.4 Ghz
CPU fan: cooler master 120mm
PSU: Silverstone 750w gold
RAM: 16gb DDR4
Case: Corsair Carbide series spec-01 mid tower gaming

It's a 5 year old PC currently got Asus 980 4gb

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
My monitor is a 1440p, so what happens when you say it's a no? What's the wrost case scenario?
Have you seen the reviews? This card yields the biggest gains at 4K.
1440p, while not as impressive, is still pretty good. Depending on the game, you could see anywhere between 20-80% over the 2080.
1080p is just a joke.

I found 3 different Striders:
Strider Gold
Strider Gold Evolution
Strider Gold S
They all score great reviews, though the only thing that bugs me is the short warranty on them, at just 3 years. Is that a company policy, or what?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Yes, your PC can handle a GPU up to 414mm length. I don't know which ASUS you want but I believe the run around 310mm length. You also have enough PSU power.....so you should be fine....

Nice upgrade by the way from 980 to 3080.....skipping two generations will really blow your mind.... ;-)

Just keep in mind, if its the ASUS Rog Strix that you might have to pull a second PCIe power cable from the PSU, since it is a 3x8pin design.

Reactions: captainroma

captainroma

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
Yes, your PC can handle a GPU up to 414mm length. I don't know which ASUS you want but I believe the run around 310mm length. You also have enough PSU power.....so you should be fine....

Nice upgrade by the way from 980 to 3080.....skipping two generations will really blow your mind.... ;-)

Just keep in mind, if its the ASUS Rog Strix that you might have to pull a second PCIe power cable from the PSU, since it is a 3x8pin design.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I'm using Asus rog strix so good to know for second cable. I was a bit concerned about the width of 3080 not to get stuck due to the big CPU fan.
Also will my 6th gen i7 become a bottleneck for the new 3080?

captainroma

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
4K: the cpu will be fine
1440p: ehh, gonna depend on the game... this is both yes and no.
1080p: forget it, look to the 3070 or 3060 instead.

What is the exact make and model of the power supply and how long has it been in use?
My monitor is a 1440p, so what happens when you say it's a no? What's the wrost case scenario?
Power supply is 5 year old Silverstone 750W Strider 80+ Gold

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1440p, while not as impressive, is still pretty good. Depending on the game, you could see anywhere between 20-80% over the 2080.
1080p is just a joke.

Strider Gold
Strider Gold Evolution
Strider Gold S
They all score great reviews, though the only thing that bugs me is the short warranty on them, at just 3 years. Is that a company policy, or what?

Reactions: captainroma
Solution

captainroma

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
1080p is just a joke.

Strider Gold
Strider Gold Evolution
Strider Gold S
So you reckon 3070 might a better option for me? For 1440p

captainroma

Prominent
Jul 11, 2019
It's not the minimum for any graphics card. It's just something you need for a decent gaming experience for some AAA titles today and many more to come.
Thing is I still get reasonably decent gaming experience with my old i7 and 980. So I guess my PC can last another few years with just adding 3070. Just wanted to make sure that its supported

Last edited: