Will my power supply be sufficient?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyboy3210

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
In the summer of 2010, I asked for help from the community about computer parts, and got great advice, set the computer up and had it running fine, with no problems. I have recently upgraded some parts on it and have added a few more, and have just ordered a Phenom X6 1055t for 138$ from DirectCanada, and am planning to overclock it. I have looked at the potential power usage levels this cpu has and am wondering whether my current power supply will be enough for my system.

My current system is as follows:

Athlon x3 440 (unlocked to a x4, so a 640) running at stock speed.
G.SKILL 4 GB ECO running at 1600 9-9-9-24 (rated for 7-8-7-24) &
Kingston HyperX 8 GB running at 1600 9-9-9-24 (rated for that) (I couldn't resist the price) (I know this may impede overclocking, but I'll try it anyways)
XFX 5770 (Bought slightly before Christmas, on sale, big surprise) (I slightly overclocked it using MSI Afterburner, but reinstalled the OS and haven't bother redoing it since)
Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s 500GB Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 3Gb/s
OCZ Vertex Plus 2.5" 120GB SATA II (Arrived about 2 weeks ago, also on sale, but through a darned rebate which I'm not sure my claim will get to in time) (Currently being used as the boot drive)
ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AM3 DDR3 ATX AMD 870GX (The motherboard, beautiful is she not?)
Thermaltake Contaq 29 Heatsinkfan

And the most important part of the question:
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W (Actually states on the power supply, 430w) (About... at least 2 years old, probably a bit older than that)

Now, with a 1055t on its way, and my planning to potentially overclock it, do you think I'll be ok sticking with this power supply, or should I consider investing in a higher wattage power supply?
I only game at 1680x1050 and my motherboard does NOT support CF, and so I was planning on keeping the 5770 for a while and maybe replacing it when the 8000 series comes out, or maybe when the 9000 series comes out, depending on how it holds up against newer and newer titles. Thus if I upgrade the power supply, it will be a while before I will be upgrading graphics cards, in which case, would it even be worth getting a strong enough one for a better card, or save the money now and just get one sufficient for this system?

If you really don't think I'll need to change the power supply, or whatever, please let me know, any/all opinions welcome (Unless for example you found this thread a waste of time and want me to simply drop dead, in which case, no can do; go have a nap)

Thanks in advance, Daniel.

P.S. Oh yes, the most strenuous things I tend to do with my computer at the moment is play steam games, such as Saints Row 3, GTAIV, MW2-3, and lots of various other titles (I can't seem to resist a sale, on the other side, I don't smoke or drink so I suppose I am entitled to some vices...)
Although I will be running prime 95/ furmark or something else to check the stability of overclocks on the cpu, gpu and ram. (The ram I just tend to run on loose timings because I'm not in this for the benchmarks.)

Edit:

I totally forgot to say that should you think I need a new power supply, could you recommend the ideal wattage for my set-up, and I'll take a look at some nearby stores (Microbytes.com / PcSonic.com) to see what they have in stock. So far I was looking at something like 700-750w, just to make sure I have enough power to never have to worry about my psu trying to pull too much power and going kerplut. Also, it would potentially be enough to power the system with a stronger graphics card in a year or two.

(God, I never do stop typing, do I?)

Edit 2: (The last one, I swear)

I was looking at the 1055t's wattage here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-cpu-build-a-pc,2700-15.html
It shows the 1055t drawing up to 289w at full load on stock settings. (My motherboard is rated for a 140w processor, and this one is supposed to go from 90-125w right?)
Overclocked to 4ghz, it went up to nearly 400w, and that's why I'm questioning whether my power supply will be sufficient or not.

Solution

The problem with the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS500-PCARD3-US) is that the electrical noise and ripple will exceed the maximum allowed by the ATX12V specifications when you attempt to draw more than 80% of...

dannyboy3210

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I know the coolermaster500 isn't that great of a power supply, but it has served me well enough anyways, and I know now to just buy a generic power supply rated for a higher wattage. I've got a budget of maybe 90-100$ or so to spend on a good quality power supply.

The thing is, Pcsonic is located 5 minutes from my house whereas the Microbytes store is a half hour drive away, so if possible I'd like to buy from Pcsonic, but if it really doesnt have any good quality ones, I'd be willing to drive to Microbytes.

I'm currently looking at the psus you guys had suggested, currently more interested in a good quality 600-650w, call it paranoia or something, but it would make me feel more reassured to get at least a 600w power supply.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 5770 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Your Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS500-PCARD3-US), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with its one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient.

How much of an overclock on the CPU are you attempting to achieve?

dannyboy3210

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
I'd probably be attempting to get it to at least 3.6-3.7ghz. At the very least to see what it's capable of and even if I don't keep it overclocked, I can save the oc profile in the bios.

Also, the power supply is actually only 430W, which was a nice little thing thrown in there by Coolermaster, the power supply almost stating it is 500W, while it turned out to only be 430W.

I know the cpu (and gpu) will rarely ever get to even near 100% usage (overclocked or not), but I'd rather have the headroom, just in case.

The problem with the Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS500-PCARD3-US) is that the electrical noise and ripple will exceed the maximum allowed by the ATX12V specifications when you attempt to draw more than 80% of its labelled power.

Cooler Master is known for pulling those types of shenanigans.

pcSonic carries Antec, Corsair and Seasonic as tier1 brands but their isn't much of a model selection in the Antec or Seasonic brands.

Solution

dannyboy3210

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Due to a very effective salesman, I spent a bit more than I had originally intended and went with the Corsair TX650 V2 for 109$ from Microbytes. It is apparently a good quality power supply with a high efficiency rating and little voltage fluctuation compared to some of the cheaper ones, such as the GX 650W (Coolermaster) 89$ and a OCZ 600W or 650W for 79$. I spent more than I had planned to, but it appears to be a sound power supply, with long cables (A bonus for my full sized tower).

Thanks for all the suggestions and information, it was very much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS