Will my power supply handle a 7970?

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I have a XTREME GEAR 700W ATX Power Supply model: XG-P700

I currently have a gts 450 installed and I only see one six pin connecter going to it...dont i need two to run a card like a 7970?

Solution
Based on information I found on the XG-P700 of:
DC: +3.3v +5v +12v +12v -12v +5.25
24A 15A 30A 22A 0.3A 2.5A

Which is 360watt rail #1 and 264watt rail #2. The 7970 requires 190 watts to operate. Your power supply will power the GPU based on your ratings, but you will need to make sure you are setting up the power cabling right. I find it hard to believe it has only one 6 pin power connector with 700watts. Are you sure it doesnt have an 8 and 6 pin connector? The 8 pin connector (not the 8 pin CPU power connector possibly) is just a 6 pin with 2 extra pins in it. It will fit the 6 win with 2 pins overhanging. I couldnt find cabling diagrams, so if you want confirmation, you can take some pictures and post them...

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
I toatally agree with you on the quality part but for now am wondering if what i have will run it? I'm kinda new to this but i can only see one connecter going to the graphics card a 6 pin connecter and i cant find another one which i think i need.

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Based on information I found on the XG-P700 of:
DC: +3.3v +5v +12v +12v -12v +5.25
24A 15A 30A 22A 0.3A 2.5A

Which is 360watt rail #1 and 264watt rail #2. The 7970 requires 190 watts to operate. Your power supply will power the GPU based on your ratings, but you will need to make sure you are setting up the power cabling right. I find it hard to believe it has only one 6 pin power connector with 700watts. Are you sure it doesnt have an 8 and 6 pin connector? The 8 pin connector (not the 8 pin CPU power connector possibly) is just a 6 pin with 2 extra pins in it. It will fit the 6 win with 2 pins overhanging. I couldnt find cabling diagrams, so if you want confirmation, you can take some pictures and post them.

What I would do, order a better power supply, but if you are keen to use what you have, it SHOULD work if the power supply label is correct and accurate.

Short of another 6 pin connector, you will need to use a molex to 6 pin PCIE power cable adapter that lets you supply power from the molex power connectors. Like this one:
molex_pci-e.jpg

Solution

caqde

Distinguished
well the problem with off brands is that the wattage isn't always what is stated and even the other information on the drive like amps could be off on what it can actually handle. I can't find any reviews on the drive and all I could really say is maybe.

The best advice I could give you is get a good 600-750Watt quality PSU from FSP, Seasonic, XFX, Antec, Corsair, or PC power and Cooling. Because right now I would worry about putting a high end GPU in your system and losing your PSU and possibly your entire system. When a low quality PSU goes out it has a high chance that it could take everything in your system with it. The PSU in your system should be one of the most important if not the most important purchase when it comes to your system don't skimp on your PSU. Tomshardware and a lot of other sites have reviews and articles to illustrate this point.

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

I didn't know a power supply could take out a whole system that's pretty scary. I thought the power supply would be the only thing to go.

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

As soon as I saw that picture of the molex to 6 pin PCIE power cable adapter i thought it looked familiar so i looked in my drawer and found 2 of them that came with my computer lol But the off brand power supply thing is bugging me... i mean I think my gts 450 takes about 106 watts and the 7970 takes 190 watts and that's almost double the wattage :s.

caqde

Distinguished

Yeah it is pretty scary.

Two possibilities could happen with a bad PSU. Might be more you never know though.

A) the PSU bursts into flames randomly causing a fire in your case. (could fry everything literally)
B) the PSU could send a surge of electricity into all of your components.. This is usually due to a lack of protections in these PSU's as it will either send to much current or voltage into your computer.

Most high end PSU's have protections inside them to ensure that these events don't happen basically with a better PSU if something goes wrong it will shut off period. Instead of trying to work it will just refuse to work.

wootwoot66

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012

I was wondering if they had protection seems like something that should. So basically its an accident waiting to happen that's lovely lol thanks for the input though ive learned alot today :]

mickey21

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Thanks for the best answer by the way.

650w should be plenty as mentioned, but it doesnt hurt to go a little over. Some future proofing for one, and two you will likely gain better efficiency with the higher wattage unit. Power supplies get less efficient as they get closer to their maximum rating, having head room allows the system to run with improved efficiency. Of course, to a point, if you have a 1100 watt power supply and run only 150watts through it 24/7, on many models, you will actually lose efficiency.

My advice is to always buy as much as you can comfortably afford, without overdoing it. Power supplies will usually last several builds and maybe 2 or 3 upgrades in the future, it isnt a good idea to skimp out. Your overclocking attempts will also thank you. If you think 550 to 650 is comfortable right now, I would suggest stepping up to a 750 or 850 if within budget. Most 750 and 850 watt units are class leading and will output much higher than their rating suggests. Just a different level of quality that you start to see. IMO worth it for a couple of builds.

Dont ignore some of the Cooler Master/Thermaltake higher end units either. Some great power supplies. For some reason some dont like PCP&C, but I have always loved my kilowatt PCP&C units in the past with single rails. To each their own I guess.