[SOLVED] Will my PSU handle a GTX 960?

Jan 16, 2022
Hello

My PSU is a LEPA N500-sa-eu and it doesn't have an 8 pin pci-e and I wondered if I could use a molex to 8 pin to run a GTX 960 since the TDP is about 130w. The unit is apparently 500w but I'm not sure if that's accurate since I heard not so good things about LEPA. Will this work or am I just going to end up frying my components? Replacing the PSU is out of the question since my budget will go towards an i5 4590 and the GTX 960 I mentioned.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
It's an ancient, group-regulated PSU, so it's not really a 500W PSU.

Molex to 8-pin is rarely recommended, for safety reasons. This is a junky PSU and this is not one of those rare exceptions. It's junky enough that I wouldn't run a GPU that requires supplementary power even if it did have the proper connector.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Molex to 8-pin is rarely recommended, for safety reasons. This is a junky PSU and this is not one of those rare exceptions. It's junky enough that I wouldn't run a GPU that requires supplementary power even if it did have the proper connector.

Solution
Jan 16, 2022

I ended up buying a corsair vs450, is that a decent enough unit? Could it handle my card and maybe a gtx 1650 upgrade in the future?