Will my PSU have a negative affect on my build

Dullspark

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Hi,

I'm looking at building a PC and managed to get hold of a 700w PSU for cheap. My build is below. I know the PSU is slightly overkill but will it cause any damage to the components?

Also will it cause any performance issues? I've heard you shouldn't have an idle wattage usage that is 20% below the PSU wattage? What affect does it have?

Finally will it cost more to run or will it just draw what it needs and cost the same to run as a 600w PSU?

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VWTDHN

Thanks

Solution
The PSU will draw what your components need plus a bit more (due to efficiency), no matter what its nominal wattage is. If machine needs 300 W, PSU will deliver 300 W, no matter if its 600 W or 700 W or 1000 W unit.
However, PSU losses efficiency if it uses below 50% of nominal power. So yes, in your case, it will cost slightly more with 700 W unit compared to if you had 600 W unit. But difference should not be more then few %.
And of course it cannot do any damage to components just because it is higher wattage unit.
The PSU will draw what your components need plus a bit more (due to efficiency), no matter what its nominal wattage is. If machine needs 300 W, PSU will deliver 300 W, no matter if its 600 W or 700 W or 1000 W unit.
However, PSU losses efficiency if it uses below 50% of nominal power. So yes, in your case, it will cost slightly more with 700 W unit compared to if you had 600 W unit. But difference should not be more then few %.
And of course it cannot do any damage to components just because it is higher wattage unit.

Solution