Will my PSU support Gigabyte GTX 1080 WINDFORCE 8G?

Gromm

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
I'm planning to upgrade my GPU from my friend. He's selling his Gigabyte GTX 1080 8G. I'm quite unsure if my power supply unit will support the GPU. He said it supports since my Please check the system info and let me know if it is a good upgrade for me. I use a lot of Photoshop, Illustrator, Unreal Engine and I play latest games. Will it be a good upgrade?

Specs:
Mobo : Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
Processor : AMD FX-8120
SSD : Kingston 120GB
HDD : Toshiba 1TB | Seagate 500GB
GPU : Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050 TI
PSU : Cooler Master G Series G500 RS-500-ACAA-B1 500 Watts PSU
RAM: 8GB DDR3 (2GB X 2 | 4GB X 1)

Let me know guys, Thanks.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
The FX 8120 will likely hold back a gtx 1080 quite a bit in the latest games, in some more CPU heavy games you may not notice any difference between the 1050 ti and 1080.

That power supply is probably enough, if just barely. It's pretty low quality however, im not sure how long I would trust that PSU to reliably run at close to it's rated wattage. I would replace it personally.

Gromm

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

Recently I thought of upgrading the mobo processor(i7) ram(ddr4) to boost up my gaming performance by sticking with the same 1050ti gpu. One of my friend said it wont boost up that much since you have 1050ti, mostly 5-10% more from the with the current rig. Whats your take on that? Any suggestions

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I agree for the most part, depending on the game it could be a bit more than 5-10%.

To get a large noticeable boost in gaming performance from what you have now you will likely need to upgrade to a modern intel or ryzen platform and upgrade the GPU.

Gromm

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

Thats like upgrading my whole system I guess. Do you think it will be a good idea to upgrade one by one, like upgrade just the GPU now and then upgrading the mobo+processor after couple of months? Or either way around? Which initial upgrade do you think will give me a little performance boost?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the game. In some games upgrading the CPU now would provide the larger boost in other less CPU heavy games the GPU would. If you want to list some games you plan to play I can probably come up with some estimates on performance for you.

I would personally just stick with what you have and then upgrade when you can afford everything at once in a few months or whenever. By then 10xx series GPU prices may go down further, all the 20XX cards will be out, intel 9th gen should be out, we may hear news about future AMD GPU's, etc.

Gromm

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

Hmm makes sense. I might be looking forward to play some of the latest games which is going to be released like AC Odyssey, Battlefield V, Hitman and other games as well.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

AC origins was very CPU heavy I imagine odyssey will be as well. BFV is also very CPU heavy, at least the beta is. So if you cant hold off I would upgrade the CPU first when it comes to those two. Not sure about hitman.

Gromm

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014
Since I have am3 board with ddr3 slots. I might need to upgrade along with the mobo+processor+rams first I guess. So I think it will be a good to upgrade this and may be after a couple of months upgrade the gpu and possibly a good PSU. Is Ryzen really good? I was gonna dump AMD and switch to Intel. Any suggestions which mobo+cpu would do good. Something around a decent budget like $450 which could support upcoming gpu upgrades.

Gromm

Reputable
Nov 30, 2014

Bump, check my recent comment above.

TRENDING THREADS